Ham Radio in Disney WORLD

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K9ZFG, Mar 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K9ZFG

K9ZFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,

Shortly I will be taking a trip to Walt Disney World, and I would like to bring my Yaesu FT-60R handheld transceiver into the parks. (Yes, I do realize that there are plenty more things to do in the parks than operate ham radio.) Naturally, I have been researching this to see if such devices are allowed in the parks. What I have found are many posts about Disney LAND not allowing amateur equipment, and all I see related to Disney WORLD is that it is enjoyable to operate in the vicinity of the parks, but not specifically from within them. I have also found references to Disney-operated repeaters located within the parks, which seems to indicate that it would be allowed, but of course this is not a definitive answer. The official park rules and regulations (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/) do not seem to specifically forbid amateur devices.

I would like a definitive answer to the question of whether or not the operation of amateur radio equipment is allowed in the Disney World parks. Does anybody have any recent experience with operating from within the parks, or could somebody point me to a source which would have the answer?

Thanks and 73,
    Kyle KC9ZFG

2. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried telephoning them?

3. VE3HGO

VE3HGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have visited this amazing place several times during my trips south and strongly believe you would not have a problem walking around talking and sight seeing. Many are doing so with their Cell Phones and no one says anything. Best thing to do is say nothing and keep it in you pocket when not in use. Take it out when you care to use it, sititng down or at a place of relaxation. Everybody is too busy sight seeing and would not be payiny any attention to someone talking on a handhelp. As far as the Security walking around...they could think you are one of them, or, some other Agency doing their own thing. Just take on the attitude of " Andy of Mayberry"....gum on the foot sort of thing. If approached jsut say it is a hobby of yours to keep in touch with your friends....Kind of like the GMRS Radios so many as well are using there.
    So "dont kick a sleeping Dog" attitude would serve you best.

All the best....de VE3HGO....Eldon (Lic. since 1974 here in Canada...see me on QRZ.COM)

K4YHE likes this.
  4. VE3HGO

VE3HGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Been to Disney several times when traveling to the south. Not a problem...See all of the GMRS Radios people are using. When not using it ,,,put in you r pocket...when using it sit down and relax....If questioned....just say you are keeping in touch with your friends

All the best ...de ve3hgo...see qrz.com my call

5. KB1EZZ

KB1EZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used my ham radio at Walt Disney World several times I have never had any problems with using my ham radio there I was approached by two people who work there simply because they were also ham radio operators they also have a repeater located across from Downtown Disney that has echolink so if you have friends at home you can set up schedules I talked to my father several times while he was at the Magic Kingdom using this repeater system while I was in Maine more info on the repeter can be found at wd4wdw.org

6. K9ZFG

I took HB9FUH's advice and called one of the numbers provided on WDW's "Contact Us" page. I was eventually connected to one of the park security offices and was told that no, the radio would not be allowed.

About a week ago I sent them an email asking the same question. I have not gotten a response from that yet, but I imagine that the answer will be the same. Unless they respond with a different answer, I'll play it safe and leave the radio at home. My FT-60R is currently my entire station, and I don't want to have it confiscated.

7. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

You probably did not get the correct answer. Disney Parks have ham repeaters on the property. You might want to look up the trustee for the repeater and pose the question to them. As for confiscation, Disney has no legal authority to confiscate ANYTHING. They can tell you to remove the offending item from the park, nothing more. But I doubt using your FT-60 (a nice handheld, I own one myself) will result in anyone asking you to leave or cease transmission. Carry the wallet size of your license with you. Have fun!

8. K9ZFG

I have not yet received a response from either WDW Guest Services or the president of DEARS (due to a server problem I was unable to email the repeater trustee). However, I did speak to a security officer in the park and have been told that it would be acceptable to have a radio in the park.

EDIT: I have received a response from the repeater trustee and he confirms that ham gear is acceptable in the parks. I hope to get on the air in WDW soon!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

" Carry the wallet size of your license with you. Have fun! "

That is the Key. And hope you get stopped at the top of the big wheel, to rock the boat and make contacts.

Enjoy.

10. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've read several threads on various boards regarding this subject. As near as I can figure, ham radio equipment isn't disallowed by policy. But they do have a line in their policy that they reserve the right to exclude items which may be disruptive to other guests' enjoyment, or something to that effect. It's vague enough that it allows them to exclude a lot of things, and leaves much up to the judgment of the person screening you.

So be polite and respectful, and don't do anything that would anger the security officer or make him/her think you're going to use that radio in a way that would be disruptive. Don't draw undue attention to your radio as you go through the screening process, but don't go out of your way to hide it, either. Don't have the volume turned up during a quiet moment in a theatre (as if there's a quiet moment anywhere at Disney!!). If asked what it is, I'd say something like, "It's a walkie-talkie that lets me keep in touch with my friends", and leave it at that unless they press for more details.