Ham Radio Double Feature!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3MMM, Jul 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I visited Station Square back in late April. It seemed pretty lively then. Took a Segway tour of Pittsburgh - really good guide, and the thing wasn't hard to learn to ride at all.

Radio Shack as a major retailer?

Around here, the Big Mall is King of Prussia. It just keeps growing - not just the mall, but the whole area is a retail megalopolis. I hope it doesn't collapse. (There used to be two parts to it, which are now connected. From one end to the other is 2/3 of a mile, straight line, without ever stepping outside. That's just the mall itself; there are lots of outlying stores, restaurants, cinemas, etc., all over the place.)

Whenever I am there, I ask myself: "Who buys all this [expletive deleted]?"

73 de Jim, N2EY

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Station Square is a shadow of what it once was. Most of the restaurants and small retailers that were there are gone. A good portion of the location is now a charter/private school. It’s not a BAD place, mind you, but it’s glory days are behind it.

And the RS comment was a little joke. Do I have to put a smiley at the end of everything? :confused:

N2EY likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

Apparently, yes. Yes you do. Pedantics run rampant here. :)

W4IOA likes this.
  4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

The local mall here is dying and I understand the others around the metro area are failing too. I read today that Sears, Penny's, Footlocker, GNC, Payless shoes among others are on business deathwatch and aren't expected to survive 2018. Sears and Penny's are anchor stores here much like other malls around the US.
    I'm saddened by it, millennials and genx'ers are online shoppers and many others are too. We bought local when we moved last year but we also did the Wayfare and Joss & Main thing too. My son has those Amazon buttons by laundry and toiletries storage, when they run short he presses the button and they're ordered. Kroger and Wal-Mart now do online orders, people order then drive up and the employee loads the vehicle up.
    Myself, I'd rather go get our groceries and see what I'm choosing. Even when I worked 6 days a week I preferred to mow my own lawn, go shopping if needbe, do it myself. I guess people are busier more than ever and that's a shame. But I know things are constantly evolving and nothing is static and survives.

5. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear that. It seemed pretty nice that day, anyhow.

First rule of comedy: The audience determines what's funny.

73 de Jim, N2EY

6. KA3CTQ

KA3CTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I get to town about a half a dozen times a year. We use to always stop by Station Square. We stopped because several of the really nice shops have gone.

A month ago, we were at a school visit with my baby girl at Duquesne U. I asked my daughter if she wanted to the square. She said, "If we want to see empty shops, we can go to our local mall." Sad but true.

7. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

So one has to ask: Why?

Pittsburgh is a city which has reinvented itself since the end of the Steel Era. But it continues to lose population, mostly to outlying areas. Parts of the city are thriving, others struggling. The terrain sure doesn't help!

---

I am so old that I remember when Philadelphia's Market Street east of City Hall was dominated by "department stores" - Wanamaker's, Lits, Gimbels, Snellenburg's, Strawbridge & Clothier, Frank & Seder. All gone now, because retailing changed dramatically.

8. W8LPN

W8LPN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry but I had to post this. I remember these commercials from when i was younger.

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

WRT to Station Square, I don't think there's any one reason. We could go into a long, way off topic discussion on that, that would be of interest to probably few to no one, so I will limit this to two of the many possible reasons:
    1. The Station Square property has been sold a number of times, and the current owners don't seem all that interested in maintaining it -- especially the original part, now called the Freight House Shops, as previous owners built up some of the 'outside' sections along the former P&LE tracks & passenger platform. Same thing with the former P&LE HQ building, now a general office building. (This may change as on the other side of the Smithfield Street Bridge, much of the former parking lot has an apartment building being constructed. We shall see)
    2. Population in the city is changing; overall numbers continue to drop as more people move to the outlying suburbs and surrounding counties (even though the overall area stays steady in terms of net population). So as some areas wax, others will wane. It may be a coincidence that over the last 10+ years, as Downtown, the North Shore, and the Strip District areas have grown and prospered, Station Square has suffered. But then, it may not.

I don't think Station Square is lost. It's down, but it still has potential. It could be turned around, and who knows, in a few years, that might just happen. It has parking (which downtown is very limited in), it's along the Light Rail Transit system, it's scenic. It needs a little sprucing up, and someone to give a hoot in terms of maintenance and marketing. But it's not gone. Not yet, at least.

Now the terrain is, well, what it is. Call it "challenging". (Try the 'Burma Road' sometime... the new one, the original one is now cut off at the entrance to the transit tunnel.) It's part of the flavor.

Which reminds me, I need to find out how the repeater link project is going, it got stalled a ways back. Our club's 2 meter repeater does not do well in Downtown, due to the terrain... but we have a 70 cm repeater on the North Side with a great footprint into Downtown. (And also up into the Northern areas of the City and beyond.) One of these days, the two will be permanently linked to give us that coverage...

10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Those crooks are still there, and they are still running that jingle. (Although they usually drop the "minutes from the mall" tag line)

W8LPN likes this.