Ham Radio Double Feature!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3MMM, Jul 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall this being something like a $30K expense. For a business that may be family run and just a way to spend the weekend nights...that's a LOT of money and there's very little return for it (i.e., it doesn't spruce up the place or offer better food to patrons, it just makes it so the studios can convert to digital distribution to save THEM money.) It wasn't a choice - the studios would no longer provide films on...actual film...and there's wasn't a less expensive alternative.

I was surprised that all 3 of the drive-ins in my area survived that. I thought two might, but not all three. The days (nights) of "$5 for the entire carload" tickets are gone though.

2. W3MMM

Which is why I think daylight savings should just be the standard. Isn't some state, maybe Florida, getting close to making this a law?

3. W3MMM

Yes, I think Drive-ins were at one time ripe for the developer's picking. That was 40 years ago though... and yes, you are right. Retail is dying and malls are the first and fastest to go, victims of online shopping. I dare say that right now, we could make a BIG, LUCRATIVE business out of mall conversions. Either to buy and convert the mall to mixed uses, or to consult with local governments on doing so.

I believe that the big box stores will follow within the decade. I think "town centers" that find ways to mix large enough stores with pedestrian friendly walkability (i.e., it isn't miles long...) will be how/where retail survives.

Not far from me, there's a Target store that opened with a 'shocking' second level. They feared that shoppers wouldn't like it...it turned out to be one of the best performing Targets. That's how to do it - make a PLACE where people want to be, to wander around, to shop and dine and play. But make the stores large enough to attract the big players.

I'm not really sure why malls died. Maybe they focused so inward, that you felt like you were parking in the loading docks, to then walk in. Maybe because you couldn't drive through it. Maybe there wasn't enough diversity of things to do (like a town center might have, with entertainment, parks, libraries, etc...) I don't know. But I believe the town center model will cover whatever survives the online onslaught.

N2EY likes this.
  4. W3MMM

I think Jurassic World used an Icom, maybe a 7300. I'm not a rig expert and the shot was quick.

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

San Jose still has one with three screens in use. It's a huge flea market in the daytime, which no doubt earns as much or more than the theater does. Google finds at least four of them in Minnesota. One is way up north near the Canadian border, and only one is near a major city. They all appear to be running somewhat stale releases, but one does a twin bill of a current movie with a somewhat stale one as the second feature.

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first movie drive-in experience:
    I recall driving by a drive in movie that allowed you to get glimpses of the movie screen. I was between 7 and 8 years old. My dad was driving. I brought the movie screen to my parents attention as they were showing an adult movie. The old stereotypical nudist camp volleyball court scene with buxom ladies. Both parents were struck dumb and didn't say a word. I think my dad hit the accelerator to quickly drive out of view. It was my first X-rated movie.

My first 3D movie was at a drive in also. I believe it was a John Wayne western with arrows coming right at you.
    I never cared for drive-ins because all the stuff you got to leave at the theater-spilled soda, spilled popcorn, chewing gum came home in the car with you!

7. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

D.S.T is a big pain in the you know what!
    I live in S. Texas , and the last thing I need in the evening, is
    another hour of 100 degrees and 60% relative humidity.
    A huge waste of energy, everyone cranks up the A.C. for an extra hour.
    Arizona does not use D.S.T. for the same reason.
    We have a drive-in about 20 minutes from here, and they showed
    the new Jurassic Park movie as part of a double-header this weekend.
    Jon

8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

All good observations. Here are some more:

- A particular area only needs so many stores of a particular kind. There comes a point where the market is saturated, and something has to give.

- Some forms of retail have simply become obsolete. Remember video rental stores? Fotomats? Home milk and bread delivery? Full service gas stations? All gone because either the market disappeared or they stopped being economically viable.

- A significant part of the population simply doesn't do a lot of retail purchasing. Some can't afford it, some have everything they want or need, some are into recycle/reuse, vintage, localism, minimalism. Look at the "tiny house" movement - those folks simply can't have a lot of stuff!

73 de Jim, N2EY

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious here... if you didn't have DST, you do realize you would still have the same amount of sun, heating up houses the same amount, right?

The Drive in my old girlfriend and I used to go to (she's not old, well, actually, nevermind...) was the Westbury Drive-In on Long Island. Didn't see a lot of movies there... :p It closed down 20 years ago now, sad. Here in Colorado, I believe there is a Drive In south of here in Pueblo - I think I might have to go with the wife before it closes!

N2EY likes this.
  10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve seen that happen in this area.

There major malls in this area (Allegheny Mall, Parkway Center Mall, and Century III Mall... and one can make a case to include the former P&LE location, Station Square, as well) have withered and died, in large part due to newer malls or shopping areas opening up.

It also didn’t help any of them that their major “anchor” retailers closed up and disappeared. (That includes Radio Shack, back before they became Cell Phone Shack). Without these major retailers to attract shoppers, they’re not going to come, and if they don’t come, the smaller stores don’t get much traffic either.