Ham Radio Double Feature!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3MMM, Jul 9, 2018 at 9:32 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I went to the drive-in over the weekend and saw two new movies. Both had pseudo ham radio references in them:

Jurassic World: Distress call is made on a radio clearly tuned to 3.805.00
    Rampage: Distress call is made on a radio, starting with "Whiskey Two Tango to Echo Four Foxtrot" (or something like that) - a US Special Event station calling Palestine??

The popcorn was tasty but the bathroom was nasty.

W7UUU and W4IOA like this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

There are still drive ins? :eek: o_O
    A double feature no less. wow

KD4MOJ, W4IOA and KK5JY like this.
  3. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

In Oregon they couldn't start the movie this time of year because it isn't dark until 9:45pm. DST killed the drive-in. It'd be awful late for a double feature.
    I did enjoy them in my high school years, both Beaverton and Cornelius had drive-in's.

W4ZD and W7UUU like this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

6. W3MMM

We start about 9:15 here.

The double feature, plus a hour ride home, means a 2:30am bedtime. Rough but worth it.

On holiday weekends, one of the drive-ins shows quadruple features. They end with a sunrise flag raising ceremony. My point is that time is typically not the primary demise for many druveins, rather economic forces (like property taxes, the inability to make money during the winter or in the rain, the recent conversion to digital projection... these have all been rough on drive ins. The three drive ins within range of my QTH are all labors of love, not really viable economic concerns.

My household has two guarantees: a summer trip to the drive in and a winter trip to watch a hockey game.

AC8UN, W4IOA and N2EY like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Tactical callsigns, not real ones. I recall reading a WW2 submarine novel and the sub's callsign was W3AU....

I just realized that "tasty" and "nasty" differ by just the first letter, yet they do not rhyme.

As for drive-ins, they used to be a big thing around here when I was growing up, and into my teen years. I recall the MacDade, the Family, the Main Line, the Lincoln, the 309, and the 611 (the last two named for the routes they were on). All gone - the last to go was the 611, which was home to many a hamfest over the years. And that's just on this side of the Delaware

What killed "DIs" around here was:

- Land values. Even a small DI is a serious piece of real estate, and when a developer offers the owner several million dollars just to walk away, it's often an offer they can't refuse.

- Limited use. Can't show movies in daylight nor most of the winter. Rain and wind drastically reduce attendance.

- Stereo sound. Those little speakers were amazingly good but when movie sound got serious.....and while some went to using radio, who wants to run the car battery down?

- Air conditioning. Practical for cinemas, impractical for DIs.

- Smaller cars. Whole bunch of stuff there....

----

A bit of DI trivia:

In the movie "Grease", there is a scene which takes place at a drive-in movie. This scene was added to the film version because Randal Kleiser, the director, went to Radnor High School (class of 1964) remembered the Main Line Drive-In. It was a major....attraction....for teenagers in his time. Today it is a shopping center, with an Acme supermarket, a Rite-Aid, a Wells Fargo bank, and soon to have a Target.

It's less than a mile from here.

73 de Jim, N2EY

8. W3MMM

yeah, I know ;)

Neither movie had even a hint of ham radio in the plot, dialog or anything... but these little passing nods made me think maybe a ham was somewhere in the production crew...

Its funny - the 3 drive ins around here have FM broadcasts, and one also has the door mount speakers for each car. At the end of each night, they have a little golf cart with big batteries and jumper cables that runs around and jumps everyone that killed their battery with the radio.

All part of the charm ;)

I look at drive ins kind of like CW...there are faster and more convenient ways to communicate, but there's a special charm in doing it the harder way. During Jurassic World, the racetrack two miles away could be heard with its roaring engines, and this went well with the dinosaurs roaring on the screen. During Rampage, the wind picked up and the temps went down, making it kind of feel like a 4D survival situation. Can't get that in the multiplex - Love it!

AC8UN and N2EY like this.
  9. W3MMM

The farther south you go, the more they rhyme :)

WD0BCT, WE4E, AC8UN and 1 other person like this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We have no drive-ins anymore, although when I first moved here 30 years ago there was one just up the street. It closed, but is now the site of a 21-theater Pacific Theaters plex which is well air-conditioned and has all very comfortable, motorized reclining seats with foot benches. More comfortable than sitting in a car.

Problem here might be that on "some" summer nights, it's too hot to be comfortable; on some other nights, even in summer, it's actually too cold to be comfortable after dark. This week is unusual (very warm at night) but usually at night it's about 60F or so even in summer, which is fine for me but "sweater weather" for many.

This past Friday and Saturday nights were 88F at midnight...that's too hot for me to be comfortable. That condition only occurs maybe once or twice each summer, but it may be getting more common.

I still miss drive-ins, though. Very popular when I was a kid, and even in my "dating" years (late 60s-> 70s). Mono sound, hang the speaker on your window and turn up the scratchy volume control.:p