HAM RADIO / DIGITAL DIVINE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN2X, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you imagine, being in the Saudi Desert, with a 2 foot satellite dish, with no electricity, only batteries. All you have is a LAP top, and a 2 Dollar Microphone.

You are in a tent with a few locals discussing some business. You strike a conversation with one of the folks, and you find out he was in the USA, and an Engineer, and talks about a HAM Operator he used to know and loved the hobby but no chance of operation because of the costs.

I am almost dropped my LAP top, I told him are you in for a Surprise, I have something I need to show you about HAM radio. My Saudi friend is anxiously waiting for a HAM set to fall out of my pocket, but no I am on my LAP TOP down loading the W4MQ software for Remote access.

I get on the W7DXX, remotely control the HAM set, turning The HF LOG Antenna towards Europe, and Fire Up the HF AMPLIFIER, and tuning in on 14MHZ. ALL REMOTE!

When to Audio came through my LAP TOP, and I called CQ DX, into Europe this guy thought it was all a trick loaded on my Server. But when we started working DX into Europe, from Boston Station, he was in "Shock and AWE"

He said you must be very rich to afford this system, I told him if you access to the Internet it is free!

Talk about a present for this young person!

Technical Note..

The 2 Foot Dish, is a 2 WAY Satellite system that interconnects to a Satellite Teleport / Gateway in Switzerland, and than Fiber Back to the USA, into the Internet Cloud, But this is really nothing at all compared to the R&D and countless effort given by W7DXX, and W4MQ (Keith and Stan)

My point, HAM radio crossed the digital divine, which allowed the ability for more HAM operators that don’t have the opportunity either because lack of funds, or other restrictions.

One Point to bring up.. The Costs, for Internet is high in Saudi, however Internet Cafe, is very cost effective, and this is readily available. The Lap Tops and Computers are available in the same Internet Cafe',

In the Arabic world the average salary is very modest, about $100 through $500 Per Month, the Internet Cafe' cost about $0.50 Per Hour to use.

Best

2. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

OK, lets get serious for a moment here.

How much does an inexpensive laptop computer cost?  800-1500 dollars ? ( U.S. we are talking here ! ) Go for a nice one, about 2000-3000 dollars

How much does internet access cost per month ?  ( $20-$40 ?  again U.S. cost ) Two way satellite is a lot more expensive, I can tell you !

How much more would that stuff cost in Saudi Arabia ?  Again, I am betting that it would not be a bargain!

OK now, how much does a Qrp rig cost ?  $150-$200 , maybe a little more ?  Antenna and key ?   What the heck, go for a SSB unit,  and why QRP ?  The Saudi can haul a full size rig on the back of his camel without straining it too much!   So now we are talking about a cool grand or so.  Maybe a bit more, but certainly not as much as we are talking for the Internet stuff.

Whoops, forgot, you said "no electricity, only batteries" So scratch the full power rig. We are back to qrp. But how long are batteries going to last on a laptop ? What do you do after they die. SOLAR POWER - - - OF COURSE ! So now you get out your solar panel to recharge the good old computer. Lots of sun in the desert, I'll grant you that ! But your "simple little shack in the tent" is starting to take on the look and feel of a major communications center. So why not go back to the idea of QRO with rechargable power. Like I said, plenty of sunshine in the desert!

Like I said, give me a break.  Certainly you are not going to convince me that cost or affordability would be a legitimate reason to get on internet "ham radio" as opposed to doing the REAL THING !

Jim AG3Y

3. NN2X

NN2X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Costs, for Internet access is high in Saudi, however Internet Cafe, is very cost effective, and this is readily available. The Lap Tops and Computers are available in the same Internet Cafe'

Best

4. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I don't bet there are too many "Internet Cafe's" in the middle of the Saudi Desert ! [​IMG] [​IMG] Don't go changing the senerio on me, now. You set this up in the middle of the desert, with only a laptop and a two dollar microphone. That hardly sounds like the resources of an "Internet Cafe" are too redily available to you!

If I have to ride my camel 100 miles to the nearest town big enough to have an "Internet Cafe" I'm going to think long and hard about it , before I make the trip !

73 from Jim AG3Y

5. Guest

Guest Guest

It is fun to talk to other countries.. but hey.. you (or he) could accomplish the same thing by picking up a phone (sat phone on his end) and for a few bux having nice clear comms without the radio.

what you enjoyed was fun, I know and I like talking to folks out there too.. but ham radio? Nope.. not even close. Internet chat using an RF link as part of the game, sure.

I'm NOT denigrating the fun of talking to folks via any manner and I'm sure everyone enjoyed the conversation, but using such a remote link system to do that is like shooting fish in a barrel, working DX on the 'LIST NET' or getting WAS by worknig only on the Century Club net..

All shooting fish in a barrel.

k3FT

6. K2ACX

K2ACX Ham Member QRZ Page

What's a digital devine?

Brian K2ACX

7. 9V1VV

9V1VV Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's a digital divine?
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ...must be a cult thing, a religious icon, or perhaps a mythological deity worshipped by followers of PSK32...

8. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (9V1VV @ Jan. 07 2004,16:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's a digital divine?
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ...must be a cult thing, a religious icon, or perhaps a mythological deity worshipped by followers of PSK32...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Maybe something like that flying saucer that was in the tail of that comet a few years ago, according to those folks at Rancho Santa Fe.

I think the original poster may have meant the Digital Divide, which was an Al Gore invention--I think.  Hey,   Al Gore and Al-Qaida have the same first name.  Coincidence? HMMMMM...  [​IMG]

!!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Have got to agree with the rest of the crowd here.... Internet anything is not ham radio.... I have been on both sides of QSO's (the radio end as well as the computer end) and didn't like either one... The voice quality is very bad and there are usually long delays through the digital medium.... I have also heard several people on HF using that same &quot;Boston Station&quot; and would not have a QSO with them... The sound of that station made me cringe, kind of the same effect as fingernails scratching on a black board....

No thank you....

10. KI4BGO

KI4BGO Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NJ1K @ Jan. 08 2004,08:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Have got to agree with the rest of the crowd here.... Internet anything is not ham radio....  I have been on both sides of QSO's (the radio end as well as the computer end) and didn't like either one... The voice quality is very bad and there are usually long delays through the digital medium....  I have also heard several people on HF using that same &quot;Boston Station&quot; and would not have a QSO with them... The sound of that station made me cringe, kind of the same effect as fingernails scratching on a black board....

No thank you....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Absolutely! The internet is NOT radio! -Good post! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.