Ham Radio Desk Idea

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W1AL, Dec 27, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1AL

W1AL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello:

I had an idea for a replacement ham radio desk. My idea includes two (2) of these set up in a horseshoe configuration:
    https://www.foldingchairsandtables.com/classic-series-portable-serpentine-table-with-bar-top-riser/

What do you all think? It supposed to be supportive enough, I think, although my equipment is a Drake TR5 which is the same weight as a TR-7, along with several accessories. I also plan to upgrade the station to something even more lightweight.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Scott W1AL

KA4DPO and W4DXL like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hey I think that looks COOL! Why not? Should work perfectly.

Something really really important that I wish I had done but at least advise you, is leave SPACE BEHIND the desk so that you can get to the backs of things. Oh, how I wish I had allowed for that :(. It's such a PITA in my fairly elaborate station to change things around simply because I can't get to the cabling behind them.

But I do like that desk - looks nice to me

Dave
    W7UUU

K4EI, K9ASE, KI5WW and 3 others like this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, for what it costs......

My current op desk was built from scrap lumber and an old solid-core door. Very strong and does the job.

NY7Q, KI5WW, W7UUU and 1 other person like this.
  4. N2PPK

N2PPK Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks nice! I'd love to do something like that one day, instead I have everything piled on the desktop, meaning I have to have my laptop on my lap for digital modes. And that's not so much fun!

5. W1AL

Definitely Dave.....In fact I have been trying to thoroughly plan out what kind of power strip to get, as there are so many new kinds available today. Like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6G0a9oWjUYGU61OCls2WcaAjJi8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

And plenty of room behind. Plus I can climb under it, but still will leave enough space. Being circular, it will be less cramped back there too. I could also add some skirting on it too.

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not a bad idea as long as you have the room around it. They look sturdy but what are the extra legs on the back that look like suction cups for?

I have been thinking about an L shaped corner desk to put in here but haven't done anything yet, I'm still rebuilding the NC-173. Once I get that done I plan to completely re-do the shack. Basement workbench is tied up with RC plane stuff and garage bench is strictly car stuff. Need more room or fewer hobbies...:D

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It needs center supports, Or it will sag over time.

8. W1AL

They're not suction cups...they're thumbwheels for the clamps. That is how the risers clamp on to the table.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks good, but I'd check IKEA. They had a similar shaped desktop for a lot less money. I put one across two filing cabinets, and it worked very well for me. Of course, I already had the filing cabinets. I like the riser on you unit. A solid desk gives you the option of hiding all the cables, which an open one doesn't.

10. K4YND

K4YND Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks great. please don't install the curtains. I found a L shaped desk from Ikea. The problem for me was finding a desk with enough depth. Looks like your solution will allow you plenty of room in front of the gear.