Ham Radio Deluxe Support hacked my computer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

One of the complaints by the OP was HRD didn't "interface" with LoTW. That opinion is BS. HRD works just fine with LoTW. I've used HRD for years, have the latest version and I have no problem with it at all. LoTW works just fine with HRD.

...............Bob

2. K6BSO

K6BSO Ham Member QRZ Page

Or, as well as LoTW ever works, at least… :D

3. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an opinion which is exactly that, an opinion.

IMO I don't believe any of it. Not because I have win 10 and it works fine, but because I just don't buy it hook line and sinker.

4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I haven't had any problems with HRD and it works great Windows 10. However their attitude is my problem and they can have the best software in the world and I wouldn't buy it again.

W8NSI, G4GNX and KP4SX like this.
  5. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and that is why I waited until more was posted. I'd like to hear something from HRD...other than silence. :(

6. KI6LZ

KI6LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Cavalier attitude and arrogance is simply astounding.

7. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? So because it works on your system there's no problem to be addressed? Your computer is the "Gold Standard" by which software functionality is judged?

It's BS? Really? Did you see what this company just did, or are you attacking the victim?

For a moderator- that's way over the line. You shouldn't even be offering an opinion.

W4MHZ, BANDRUNNER, N3AWS and 16 others like this.
  8. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Chris,
    That could very well be the case.
    Yes, if it's a recent credit card purchase, I suppose the purchaser could take up this with the bank card issuer.

Any way one looks at this, it's bad press all the way around. Wow... just wow.

I have read the the License Agreement, noticing that Section 8 is plainly missing a period at the end of the sentence. If reviewed and or written by a lawyer or law firm, it likely would not have been written in such a careless matter. It raises eyebrows.

I would approach your credit card's bank issuer and see if there's any recourse.

Bad Press for HRD's company... for sure.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    K1BQY and N2SUB like this.
  9. KB1JHN

KB1JHN Ham Member QRZ Page

K1BQY, N2UHC, G4GNX and 2 others like this.
  10. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have a Restore Point set for System Restore that's prior to downloading the malicious tool? If so, you can probably restore Windows to the point before the download and resurrect your previous installation of HRD. What makes me extremely nervous about this situation is the fact that they allegedly told you to download an update in order to receive software support (that you already paid for), and disabled the software and revoked the license without warning. In several states and under federal law, that could be construed as accessing your private system without authorization for the purpose of causing damage to the system. If they had simply stated, "we don't like you and we're revoking your license to use the software and receive technical support", that's one thing, but creating malware to stifle public commentary and disable your computer is downright chilling.

KK4CUL, W8NSI, KC3BZJ and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.