Ham Radio Deluxe Support hacked my computer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh my god... unbelievable.

N5PZJ, N2SUB and (deleted member) like this.
  2. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well that ticket sure conveys the arrogance that I detest in companies. Hard to believe but I will seek out other options from now on. :(

AJ4LN, KC8TCQ, G4GNX and 2 others like this.
  3. N4IAG

N4IAG Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it interesting that they claim: "You are not buying software, you are buying your callsign's access to the software." Therefore they can disable a paid-for program on a whim. WTF?

KC8TCQ and N2SUB like this.
  4. N7IOD

N7IOD Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW. I was considering HRD again but no chance now. Thanks for showing us the landmines.

KC8TCQ, G4GNX and N2SUB like this.
  5. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That argument would actually make some sort of sense if HRD were an online application like a QRZ logbook. QRZ can revoke the callsign access to my logbook because they own the software and they are letting me use it. However, I own my copy of HRD, and nobody has the right to block me from accessing my private copy on my own machine.

KC8TCQ, K1BQY, N2UHC and 1 other person like this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely disgusting.

You know those agreements we all click on the "I Agree" button to get past? Apparently, HRD's contains this little jewel:

Any of you using this software really need to evaluate this line, and how they have chosen to use it. It's one thing to have the ability to revoke a license as a protection, it's another to use it as a coercive tool to beat your customers over the head with when they don't like your opinion, and to do so subversively.

I would run away from this company.

Steve
    KV6O

AJ4LN, KC8TCQ, WD9EWK and 4 others like this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, you don't. Read the license agreement you agreed to, and tell them you no longer agree to the terms and want a refund.

Steve
    KV6O

8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know I got shtupped on this one. I don't expect to win, but I'd be remiss if I did not call attention to the kind of people we're dealing with.

G4GNX, K6FNI, N7ZAL and 1 other person like this.
  9. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

So here's what I'd do - Step 1 - take the review down. Step 2 - get HRD re-activated. Step 3 - put the review back up and tell the HRD folks to take a flying leap.

Personally, I wouldn't give 2 cents for HRD. It's just not all that. DM780 isn't any better than Fldigi, which is free. Rig control? Try Flrig. Logging? There's tons of apps out there.

W8NSI, KC8TCQ, K1BQY and 2 others like this.
  10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

They have shown their colors. I doubt you'd want to use their software after being treated like that... wow. The only thing to do is warn others - if enough folks demand a refund due to no longer agreeing the license agreement (and everyone else steers clear), maybe they will realize that you can't treat customers this way - regardless of how they crafted their license agreement.

Steve
    KV6O

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    W8NSI, NY7N and KC3RN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.