Ham Radio Deluxe Support hacked my computer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with your second statement. That about sums it up...

K6FNI and N2SUB like this.
  2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought it was the RUSSIANS doing all the hacking!

KD4MOJ, K1BQY, DM2RM and 5 others like this.
  3. KB3UPC

KB3UPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, there's an established name for holding software or a computer hostage unless you first meet demands: Ransomware.

There was recently news of a hotel that would charge your credit card an additional $500 if you left them a negative review online. They'd refund it back if you removed the review. What happened was a ton of negative press, a flood of thousands of terrible reviews, and surprise surprise they went out of business because of it.

You listening HRD? Information spreads quickly and people despise bullies.

AJ4LN, KC3BZJ, KC8TCQ and 10 others like this.
  4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd really like to hear the whole story because so far it is beyond belief. Meaning that a company exhibiting this type of behavior should be held accountable in the market place. I just can't believe a company can be this ignorant and tone deaf...but it looks like they might. :(

If the ransomware and download indeed happened as described, I'm done defending HRD. I do use it with Windows 10 and it works well, but my loyalty has a limit.

If the thread is deleted then that just reflects on the other company as well. I guess we will see.

KC8TCQ, K6FNI, N2SUB and 1 other person like this.
  5. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, I'm shopping around right now, trying different evaluation copies. I found one that is very stable and very user-friendly, but it's not free ;) I'll check out DXLAB.

6. N2SUB

Thank you, thank you, thank you! As a party of 1 there isn't a lot I can do legally to hurt them. I'm relying on The Court Of Public Opinion to spread the word and make them feel it in the wallet. Amateurs are a rare breed, and we have our differences now and then, but as a group we are a force to be reckoned with. Spread the word.

BTW, I have the entire support ticket saved. If you have any doubts, contact me and I'll be happy to send you a copy. I might even put it on my QRZ page. ;)

W8NSI, K9PLG and G4GNX like this.
  7. N2SUB

I just realized you can post a file. HERE'S THE TICKET IN IT'S ENTIRETY:

Attached Files:

KO2LA and K1BQY like this.
  8. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

Did this lock your whole computer, or just the software in question?
    They don't have the right to lock your computer but I would bet a careful reading of the user agreement that you never read but zipped through would tell you that you don't own the software, you own a license and they revoked it.
    If you paid for the software by credit card you might get the company to do a chargeback, otherwise you aren't making any friends over there and they have your money and their license.

K1BQY likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not good. I wonder if the individual who responded in this manner was authorized to behave that way by the ownership? Or maybe it IS the ownership!

N2SUB likes this.
  10. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Clearly, I will never buy their software.

SA6CKE, G4GNX, W7UUU and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.