Ham Radio Deluxe Support hacked my computer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yowzers

2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I previously made a one time donation when you were taking some heat over Forum downtime (lasted several days). I never felt the need to actually subscribe though. I was personally quite unhappy with the way you handled this HRD situation. When I read that you had reversed that decision, I immediately went to the subscription page ( I think it will take 24 hours to show up). A company doesn't have to be perfect every second of every day, but how they then respond to the problems and perceptions of their customers is what defines them. I am a "customer" now. Thank You.

Glenn AB3TQ

MM1PTT, K1BQY, KJ4VTH and 1 other person like this.
  3. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if the FCC could foresee these problems in the future when they dropped logging requirements of any kind. Pretty sharp group I'd say. Just kidding.

4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The distinction between a 'good' and 'bad' company is highlighted every day when I receive the Elecraft forum comments update in which there are frequently comments raising concerns or criticisms. The way Elecraft deals with them is almost invariable to call the person on the phone offering constructive advice and support to resolve the issue, often long past the purchase date.

As others have said, the manner in which any company handles problems should matter.

KC8TCQ and NK2U like this.
  5. KC2IDF

KC2IDF Ham Member QRZ Page

It might be relevant to check out a new federal law which pertains to retaliation for negative reviews. There's an article about it on The Consumerist that you can read at https://consumerist.com/2016/12/14/consumer-review-freedom-act/

For that matter, contacting The Consumerist by email at tips@consumerist.com and telling them your story may lead to some movement.

I'm not affiliated with them; I'm just a long-time reader of theirs.

6. KD9DAL

KD9DAL Ham Member QRZ Page

the more I dig into this, the more I find that they've been doing this quite a bit since the current company took over HRD from the original creator. So many blacklisted negative reviewers. There's cases everywhere - http://i.imgur.com/bY53vq7.png

but once again, haha just a misunderstanding guys! great company 10/10

AJ4SW and K1BQY like this.
  7. W5WN

W5WN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This whole thread makes a convincing argument for learning and using CW. The only software needed is between your ears. No computer or additional decoding software needed.

NK2U and WZ7U like this.
  8. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Kudos to Fred for reinstating this thread.

I've been slapped around by people in different realms for leaving negative reviews when they were highly deserved, so I have sympathy for the OP, and a very low opinion of HRD's blacklisting efforts. I worked for a computer company for 33 years, and most of that time was in customer support. Yes, we cut off support for customers who didn't pay for it. But we never tried to disable their software because of a bad review.

I don't think I'll be buying HRD anytime soon. I treasure my freedom of speech too much to let it be threatened with a blacklist.

KC8TCQ, K1BQY and NK2U like this.
  9. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Totally unbelievable...amazing to me and I will no longer support HRD, in any way. There used to be complaints in the past and I usually supported HRD because the product worked well for me. However there is a point of elastic limit...I've gone beyond that now. :( They should write a book "How Poor Customer Service Can Destroy a Company."

Geez.

KC8TCQ and NK2U like this.
  10. W5WN

W5WN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ten Tec had the same strong customer support reputation at one time. I had several very positive experiences with them over the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.