Ham Radio Deluxe Support hacked my computer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When you get your time machine working, Mike, you can go back to November 9 2013 and investigate.

Best wishes for a happy, healthy 2017.

2. KD2AFE

KD2AFE Ham Member QRZ Page

Happy New Year to everybody (it is already Jan 1st here),

I have read this whole thread, there is a lot to digest in there. It is good to see that somebody at HRD is stepping-up to the plate to try to fix the problems. It is good to see also that PIE is going from a plausible deniability defense (I am a partner but do not know what is going on in my company) to acknowledging the problems and working to fix them. Less lawyer written posts like we've seen in some cases and more hands-on posts like the earlier one will do the company a whole lot of good.

I seem to remember a gentleman had identified 35 people with wrongfully blacklisted calls after posting a negative review or similar actions. Maybe PIE could work with him to identify these instances and see if they are genuine.

Now, just a bit of feedback as a user of HRD (under call sign JG1XMV). I paid my licence for US$ 99. I really like the software as it is really powerful and offers more features than I can actually use with my current level of ham radio knowledge. I did not know about other software like DXLabs but will check them out as well. The clincher for me with HRD was that it allowed me to interact with the many logs that I manage (eQSL, LOTW, multiple QRZ logs). I can automatically upload to Eqsl and easily batch upload to LOTW and QRZ.

I have only had one instance of support with HRD and they were both courteous and efficient.

Now, one thing that I have noticed is that I cannot upload to my QRZ logbook anymore since my subscription has expired whereas I can still do it with eQSL and LOTW. Given the close relationship between HRD and QRZ, it is surprising that QRZ be penalized. Since then I have stopped putting my QSOs in the QRZ log.

My New Year wish to WA9PIE and the rest of the HRD team is that if a client buys a subscription with features that work and that we are told that we have a lifetime usage of that version (and the upgrades for the coming 1 year), that once the subscription lapses you do not remove some capabilities from the version(s) I have purchased. For me seeing that some of my features were gone in my paid-for version once my subscription had expired was a real let-down and decided me in not putting any more money in newer HRD versions or software upgrades.

All the best,
    Arnaud

3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Well, of course, there is Walmart!!

4. KB1SNJ

KB1SNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Any significant company gets hate mail with inappropriate language in it. That's certainly NO EXCUSE for the list of actions taken by HRD in recent years such as disabling companion software, telling an allegedly difficult CUSTOMER to download an update KNOWING that would disable them, and banning negative reviewers.

And of course there is the issue of "TH1EF" written into your software to replace a ham call when a trial expires. REALLY Mike????? REALLY? Which GENIUS came up with that one? How about this - when trial expires the ham call becomes a dialog that says "Thank you for giving us a try, please consider purchasing HRD".

A Ham Call is a very personal source of pride for anyone who has earned one. To just turn that into "TH1EF" in your software is abhorrent.

The occasional bad (other) customer is no excuse!

K6OJ, WU8Y, N3AWS and 2 others like this.
  5. KI3U

KI3U Ham Member QRZ Page

KB1NXE wrote in post #1559 (p.156) :

" You do realize HRD was never a 'company' in the sense of a brick and mortar operation. ..... We all saw it ..... So, what do you do? Where do you go? ..... an additional reason why I withdrew. ..... So, if you believe quoting chicken stories was going to fix this issue, I gotta tell you - isn't even in the city where the ballpark is located. There was no rabbit to pull outta that hat! Wasn't gonna happen. "

Yes I realize it - so what ?

You've made it plain that you were fully aware that unethical behavior was occurring at HRD. That unethical behavior was hurting specific people, and amateur radio in general.

What did you do about it, besides walk away ?

You ask " So, what do you do? Where do you go? ".

I gave an answer, of which the second half, and its implication appears not to have made the intended impression on you;
    I wrote (post #1553, p.156) :

Well, at minimum it seems to me you might have told a little parable about chickens coming home to roost, in the presence of an ethical witness.

The reason for having an ethical witness is so that you could go public. No need for bricks and mortar stages from parable to outing - it could all have been done online, just as this thread is proceeding.

In #1553 I gave the example of the Drake TR-4 death-trap neutralizing capacitor. I would have had to be an idiot to think that going public (i.e. within the Drake devotee's community) with that outing would be warmly welcomed, especially when major opinion makers there like VE3EFJ justifiably assert that " The TR4 series represent possibly the BEST vaccuum tube transceivers ever made. "

But as I realized the seriousness of the C-76 flaw in the TR-4, and its possible presence in related Drake radios, I asked myself : if I keep this to myself, and then at some point later hear that someone catastrophically blew up their TR-4, or worse, because of this C-76, how would I feel about it ? And so I did the ethical thing and went public - I wrote up what I knew, put it online, and notified the Drake Mailing List.

Berj / KI3U

WU8Y likes this.
  6. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Berj,

You must live in a valley where I would prefer to live. But alas, the real world is.....

Live long and prosper.

Jim

7. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe the 'genius' was Rick! Since he is put out to pasture, will you accept HRD is trying to do the right thing?
    Rick 'owned' the HRD license server. His process could not be questioned, or you would have been 'outed'. Many of the current and former 'employees' have stated this repeatedly. What more do you want? I can give blood, but you do need to come here!

8. KW4HQ

KW4HQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You should check out Log4OM. It is a terrific piece of software that manages your logs.

N3AWS, K3DCW and N7ZAL like this.
  9. KB1SNJ

KB1SNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK well I am keeping an open mind. Just needed to vent. We'll see. Hopefully the "company" can become as good as the software (as developed by Simon)! We'll just have to see.

10. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks promising and it is also Free. :) I'll give it a try later.

N3AWS and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.