ad: elecraft

Ham Radio Deluxe Support hacked my computer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WE5N

WE5N Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, already a few eham reviews were posted today with 0/5. Kind of silly it has spun out of control like this. As I'm a new ham I have not used it but heard good things about HRD, and when it was free it was the "thing". Heard several conversations and the topic of going from free to a paid version was typically in the conversation. Still, it is pretty impressive to see it running. Never tried it but helped a local ham get it setup on his pc (it was a free version from back in the day). Redit thread is massive. I have seen worse, lifelong friends parting over a few dollars is tough to swallow. You just don't see a warranty like Dillon Precicion Reloading anymore.. No BS warranty for the rest of your life speaks for itself.. Like I said before hope parties can talk it over and get things on the level.. So far the score it tied at 0/0 in my opinion. One Ham will need to setup new software (which is touch for the non PC person), the other will loose business.

Not shooting the messenger because standing up for yourself can help others from the same issue. Time will tell..

K1BQY likes this.
  2. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No one is getting lynched here. No one is hanging from a tree. That's pretty dramatic language.

So when a customer has a problem that the vendor is not willing to resolve they should enter binding arbitration?

You've got to be kidding.

This is the way the market works... if the company screws up their reputation goes down. Free market. Free speech.

The only obligation a customer has when complaining publicly is that they are telling the truth. Otherwise they could be sued.

This is capitalism... and the consumer is a full participant.

AJ4SW, AD0HE, W7ATC and 2 others like this.
  3. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And in the Internet age companies can't hide anymore. Anything posted to the Internet will spread and cannot be deleted (the original deleted QRZ thread is archived in the Google caches for all to see). Piss off a customer and that customer is likely to create a firestorm on the Internet that will result in much negative publicity and lost business.

AJ4SW and NK2U like this.
  4. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

Never used it, but now I definitely won't.

What is this, PR amateur hour...

NK2U likes this.
  5. KD9DAL

KD9DAL Ham Member QRZ Page

looks like this isn't a new tactic either, over in the reddit thread a couple users have admitted to writing honest negative reviews more than a year ago, one person doing nothing but posting an incident to HRD's facebook page (it was immediately deleted). And what do you know, when you query their calls,

"Checked=Blacklisted"

garbage is as garbage does

AJ4SW, N2UHC and NK2U like this.
  6. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio is a hobby where the goal of most of the hobby-ests is to communicate with others pursuing the same hobby interest. Nearly 50 years in this hobby has taught me that one of the chief topics of discussion amoungst those in this hobby is the discussion of the the equipment being used, and the systems implemented to interface the equipment. So we talk of antennas, coax, mics, keyers, etc. More and more, software plays a part in the implementation of our equipment. It seems to me, therefore, that any supplier to this group of enthusiasts must expect his products and services to be a topic of constant interest. This can be a good thing- or a not so good thing, depending upon your product and service.

It bears repeating, so I will. What separates good companies from not so good companies is not the occasion of an unplanned negative event- they happen to both kinds of companies. What separates the good ones is how they respond when faced with a negative event, and that is a fair topic for discussion between users and potential users.

AJ4SW, AA4GA, KS9Q and 6 others like this.
  7. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Note to all. I have reinstated the deleted and closed threads, and combined them all into this one.

This is the last I will have to publicly say about the matter. Anyone wishing to discuss can email me.

KW4HQ, MM1PTT, K1BQY and 7 others like this.
  8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to see you have decided to not censor this discussion. This is a popular ham forum and has a redeeming value when used to exchange information on vendors which market to us but apparently treat us vindictively at the same time.

NK2U likes this.
  9. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

No doubt. This makes all of the Ten Tec news and support threads from the last year pale in comparison. The HRD Twitter feed has actually threatened litigation against the OP over posting the PDF file containing the support ticket response.

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

KC2UGV and N4IAG like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.