Ham Radio Deluxe Support hacked my computer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD9DAL

KD9DAL Ham Member QRZ Page

It's still up and responding to requests, it might take you a couple tries to get in.

writing a fun little script, they really need to secure their old windows server http://didhrdblacklistme.com/

KK4CUL, NK2U and NY7N like this.
  2. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Full-blown Streisand Effect in progress here...

N2UHC and KG7E like this.
  3. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ever wonder why the ARRL doesn't have discussion forums?

This thread is a good example. One angry customer, out of thousands of satisfied ones, gets to amplify his problems in front of a large audience with no restrictions or limits on the truthfulness of what is said. In fact, the more outrageous the claims, the more the story gets legs and the more people believe that it's all true.

QRZ doesn't have a dog in this fight other than its desire to maintain some sort of fairness. I don't necessarily agree with the way HRD customer support handled this case from the start, but as a lifelong software developer I definitely understand what it's like to be in their shoes.

At what point do we step in and throw a penalty flag? Do you think that QRZ should let nature take its course and let the protest devolve into a riot? There are hard working families whose livelihoods depend on the success of HRD, if only modest. I know the folks there and can tell you that nobody is getting rich. They are simply earning a living.

I've stepped into this discussion only because I believe that a lynch mob is on the attack against a software developer who stumbled with customer relations and is being attacked now from all sides. The participants in this discussion were enjoying the pile-on and were disappointed when I deleted the original thread. Now I'm being accused of complicity in the matter.

Disputes such these are supposed to be resolved through some sort of arbitration. Did you ever see a software license that stipulated that disputes should be handled in public forums? Of course the answer is NO and there's a reason for that. Public forums such as these tend to favor the complete disregard of fairness once the mob mentality sets in. I would expect more criticism if QRZ didn't step in to stop a blatantly unfair attack. Don't think so? Why then would we shut down a lively thread that itself was benefiting us through its page views?

I'll say it one last time. It's about fairness and a lynch mob is never fair.

K1BQY and KG5ILR like this.
  4. NY7N

NY7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Still waiting for you to explain why you felt the need to ignore the fact that HRD support asked him to rescind the negative review in order to restore his software, an act that is illegal in the United States as of this week and at best a shady business practice after you deleted the original thread and posted your laughable summary of what happened.

I'll wait.

KK4CUL, AJ4SW, KK0K and 7 others like this.
  5. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Correcting my summery in light of following comments:

It seems more likely that the 'disabling' of N2SUB's use of software was not the result being supplied malware, but rather the callsign being 'blacklisted' on an authentication server.

The net result is the same: N2SUB can't use the software, but the mechanism is vastly different, quite possibly with significantly different legal ramifications.

I applaud the moderators of QRZ doing their best to prevent the spread of misinformation. Because this is such an explosive topic, it would be very easy for errors/omissions or even outright lies to spread as truth. This one will be a hard thread to balance, so thanks in advance for being willing to host a difficult topic.

Jon
    AF7TS

NL7W likes this.
  6. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

KA9MOT, AJ4SW, N3AB and 6 others like this.
  7. KD9DAL

KD9DAL Ham Member QRZ Page

do you know what helps prevent a lynch mob? Not deleting threads out of existence leaving no trace, not threatening to sue people for libel over tweets, I could go on. It's like this is some people's first time on the internet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

"QRZ doesn't have a dog in this fight" - you have an HRD license according to their server, which I would say counts as some kind of dog

KA9MOT, K1BQY, AE7LP and 4 others like this.
  8. KG7E

KG7E Ham Member QRZ Page

You beat me to it. The ARRL most certainly DOES have a discussion forum for it's members.

K1BQY and NK2U like this.
  9. NY7N

NY7N Ham Member QRZ Page

AJ4SW likes this.
  10. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you implying that you believe what the original poster said is untrue? You've consistently followed that theme in these threads and that seems to me like you're dismissing what N2SUB said as all completely untrue.

Here's something that's actually verifiable: go check the server that HRD uses to verify call signs and you'll find that N2SUB is "Blacklisted". So at least that part of N2SUB's story is verifiably true.

AJ4SW, NK2U, WU8Y and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.