Ham Radio Deluxe Support hacked my computer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2SUB, Dec 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

Folks, there is no evidence, whatsoever, that HRD gave the user a virus. You can't make this true by simply repeating it.

We will not allow anyone to use QRZ to intentionally spread false information.

2. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's your prerogative, although what constitutes "false information" is only your opinion. I suggest that anyone who wants to read an uncensored discussion of this issue go over to Reddit. No holds barred there, and both HRD and QRZ are getting slammed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurrad...adio_deluxe_support_disabled_the_software_of/

K1BQY, NK2U and KC2UGV like this.
  3. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't say virus. I said trojan horse.

However, yes, I was mistaken. It's a "phone home". And, the user was blacklisted for a well written bad review, and is being extorted to remove it. So, still, a reason why to not use proprietary software.

AA4GA and NK2U like this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Would you retrieve and re-post the evidence submitted by the OP written to him by HRD which makes it clear what happened and why?

NK2U likes this.
  5. W6UV

What they more likely did was add that guy's call sign to a black list, which probably gets checked by the software when it starts up and causes the software to exit if the call is on the list. That's not a virus, but it's still (if true) pretty despicable if done just because of a bad review.

AA4GA, NL7W and NK2U like this.
  6. W5HU

W5HU Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, there was no virus. However, your summary of the situation seems to be just as incorrect as somebody claiming there was a virus involved. The crux of this issue is a vendor blackballing a customer due to a negative review... a review that seems completely fair and reasonable.

Your handling of this situation makes me question whether I should continue paying for a qrz subscription in the future.

AJ4SW, KN6Q, AA4GA and 7 others like this.
  7. NY7N

NY7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, like this?

[​IMG]

:D

KK4CUL, KN6Q, K1BQY and 4 others like this.
  8. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

He didn't say they gave out a virus. But rather the combination of footbullets by HRD resulted in "a malware like result". In other words it disabled software he previously had working.

Then you add in the "please do not resubscribe" and the pressure to remove a review and you have the current controversy.

While I appreciate when people have loyalty to friends, I think your primary obligation as "the largest ham radio site on the internet" would be to seek the higher good of ham radio operators. Not defend a company when they are obviously wrong.

This is very disappointing. Better for you to remain silent and let the parties involved sort it out- or not.

But at least let the market work it's magic.

AJ4SW, MM1PTT, K1BQY and 2 others like this.
  9. W6UV

Interesting. I just tried that server and it's not responding. I wonder if HRD took it down or if all this backlash caused someone to hit it with a DDOS attack?

NK2U likes this.
  10. NY7N

NY7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Curiouser and curiouser, innit?

NK2U likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.