Ham Radio Deluxe - Latest Version

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by NN4U, Jan 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NN4U

NN4U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham Radio Deluxe, v6.4.0.907 was released in November, 2018. By coincidence, I purchased it a few weeks later. But before I say why, here are my biases: I wrote simple Ham Radio programs in the 1980s doing business as Ham Data Co., when we were all using paper logs and eyeing our Commodore 64 or Radio Shack TRS-80, thinking “Why aren’t you helping?” And I’m new to today’s Amateur Radio, having just returned from a 30-year absence. So things that most of you are familiar with, like DX Clusters, PSK, external sound cards, software defined radio and the last few years of free logging software, were all new to me in October, 2018.

With that said, I’ll share that Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) software was one several companies I reached out to. One of them, who asks for consideration because they have other “real” jobs, never responded. Other excellent options either focus on a niche or don’t offer the level of integration I want.

As you may know, HRD is a collection of five programs that share information, so the user doesn’t have to. HRD integrates logging, rig control, satellite tracking, mastering anything digital with their DM-780 module, and rotator control. (And they support a long list of radios.) The level of HRD integration is unique. Some examples include: If my cursor is on a callsign and I press the QRZ.com radio button, the website pops-up with that callsign already located. Uploading to LoTW, which would otherwise be a process, is a single button push in HRD. Or, one can scan the list of DX clusters and see whether you’ve worked them, need them on that band or received confirmation from that callsign or country. The awards section is worth a complimentary review of its own. And if that weren’t enough, one can double click on that same DX cluster entry and, through integration, HRD will tune the rig to that frequency and mode, rotate the antenna and allow you to auto-populate several log fields if you make contact, including an entry on how best to QSL. Can’t do that with Microsoft Office!

But the icing on the cake is the excellent support offered by the fulltime HRD team. My gold standards for support have been my Credit Union, our CPA, Norton Security and Amazon. Our CPA is the only one who comes close to the level of technical support offered by HRD, but she costs more and she’s paid on a subscription basis. I’ve been impressed by receiving email responses from HRD support tickets in less than 24 hours. And, given my steep learning curve, I’ve appreciated the option to pick up the phone and call HRD’s helpdesk. But, today, I was blown away at HRD’s offer to schedule a session for them to remotely log onto my computer and settle the details of synchronizing the external sound card with Windows, my USB device and the rig.

As you can tell, I’m an HRD fan, but they’ve earned it, the old fashioned way. 73, Chip, NN4U

KA0HCP likes this.
  2. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used Ham Radio Deluxe since Simon Brown, hb9drv owned it. Don't mind paying for it. I have used Multi PSK and FLdigi. But HRD provides rig control, logging and digital modes in a user-friendly way. I use DM780 for CW and works well with my WinKeyer, which I originally purchased for N1MM. i don't use HRD for contesting but otherwise, everything else.
    AF4RK

3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

After all the recent Hubbub, This kinda sounds like a paid endorsement to me, (And 4 land calls makes it highly suspicious).....
    Yes HRD is a fine program.....
    If they made it more affordable instead of trying to make the most they can from small volume sales I'm sure more people would buy it, and make more profit in the long run...
    I would be much more inclined to buy a program at $49.99 than I would $99.99.. I'm sure a lot of others would be too

Ymmv

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  4. NN4U

5. NN4U

"Highly suspicious?" Check my QRZ.com entry for my background. Not selling, just sharing... 73, NN4U.

6. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Rick was in four land. He's not part of the company any longer. So your suspicion in unfounded.

What's very interesting is many people part with $100 for all sorts of things. And as a point, the new Version 2 of Icom's RS-BA1 is like $150! And they had no issue abandoning all of us with V1 either!!!!!

7. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought it back when I was using my first HF radio. (FT-450D) I didn't renew it because I had bought a Flex 6400 that I used remotely and well, I just didn't have a need for it since I was using Log4OM for logging. (HRD's logger always crashed on me).

I recently picked up a IC-7610 and renewed HRD as I hope to use it with that since that will be in my shack rather than remote access. (just waiting on all the parts of my new shack PC)

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's often on sale at 50 bucks. And the standard price? 99 bucks? Less than you will spend on a dinner for two at a decent restaurant and other similarly ephemeral things.

I'm certainly not being paid to say anything, but I'll affirm and echo everything the OP said. Some of the best money I have spent on anything related to ham radio, period.