ad: portazero-1

ham radio deluxe and cw

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KA1BSZ, Sep 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have problem,not really a big one,just a slight...When I am on cw and the HRD is set to cw to receive, some of the letters do not get decoded very well. like some times the letters D,S,B,M,etc. they seem to end up as *** and really is a good thing to some of the code in my head @ 24 wpm. Even at low speed,10 wpm the same thing happens. Like I said before,it's NOT a big problem,just when your coping an address in cw and only get part of the message. thank you!

2. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you let them (HRD) know? None of us can fix it.

3. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Alas, it's been my experience that HRD (actually Digital Master 780) is terrible at decoding CW unless the signal is very strong and there is very little background noise. I'm listening on 7034 right now and I'm hearing a fellow (think it's KC4KNN) talking about being retired from the pharmaceutical drug business, and HRD is decoding it as "@KEDEINE DRUG BIZ FER *ER 25 25*S IN PH<AR>QCEUTIC*" Even with my horrible CW skills I can make out most of what he's saying far better than DM780 is.

It will work. Sort of. IF you have a fairly strong signal with very little background noise. Make sure the squelch in Digital Master is set so the background noise doesn't trigger it. Use the filters in your receiver to try to clean up the signal as best you can. But I have yet to see any software that is even close to being as good as the human ear and brain for decoding CW.

Oh, you might want to give FLDIGI a try. It seems to do a slightly better job with CW than HRD does.

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would never depend on HRD to do a real good job of decoding CW. It works fairly well on computer generated CW, if your filters are set up well. I haven't noticed any big difference with Fldigi. If you are strictly interested in CW, you might try using CWGet. I found it to be much better than HRD or Fldigi.

The only setup that I have, that does better than all of them, is a program written in "C" and runs on an old Windows 3.1 laptop. Between the radio and the computer is a homebrew audio filter. All I need to do is make the green led blink to the CW and it decodes nicely. But, if the signal has too much QRM and QRN, it also makes mistakes.