ad: k1jek

Ham Radio Camping in a storm

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Dec 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. It's very nice appearing "helpless".
    Seriously though, 100 meters into a Finnish forest and they'll never find your body until berry or mushroom pickers are out. Even that's not certain.
    It would be wonderful to build an overland rig like the Russian expedition vehicles. That would be a dream.

WD4ELG likes this.
  2. KD2HAM

KD2HAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

@OH8STN Haha, what's the metal band in the intro? \m/

3. K5SOP

K5SOP Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I got an EB70 as well in early summer and LOVE it! I use a Baldr 120 watt folding solar panel with it.

KC7JNJ likes this.
  5. KO4NRT

KO4NRT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah so now we see your true colors, someone does not like a video of yours and you sink to name calling. Real Classy. I'll make sure to not do business with any company that sends you gear for reviews.

6. KB9GHN

KB9GHN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting this... I have always focused on low current consumption when out in the field...great job!

7. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, LiFePO4! Unlike Jackery which still uses the old Lithium. Bluetti is the much better maker IMHO.

KC7JNJ likes this.
  8. K7TAA

K7TAA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good video with good points made.

If you want to see some measurements from typical small HF transceivers that explain why QRP plus amplifier, if needed, is a better idea in most respects, try the link below. I was surprised at how inefficient these radios are if you turn the RF output power down.

http://charlespreston.net/batteryop/HF-Transceivers-and-Battery-Operation.pdf

Thanks.
    K7TAA

2E0CIT, WN1MB and WD4ELG like this.
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The reason I enjoyed this video-- winter glamping is no longer on my list, but I enjoy the memories of doing it in the past. And cooking steaks on a wood stove.... doesn't get much better as the wind howls and the snow bites the sides of the tent . OH8STN does us a huge favor by taking us there.

N3RYB, 2E0CIT and 2E0TWD like this.
  10. KN4NZT

KN4NZT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. I enjoyed the video, and the ham radio aspects were informative. A couple of camping comments for your viewers: Don't keep or prepare food in the tent if bears are about. Bears will tear into your tent to get the food and you could be killed in the process. Also, if you have to use a cot, you will sleep warmer if you put a ground pad between the sleeping bag and the cot. Your body weight compresses the bag underneath you so it loses almost all its insulating value and the cot has no insulating value. Cold air will come up from below and you will be miserable all night.

WN1MB, KC4YDY and W1YW like this.
  11. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Trick is to arm yourself. 300 years ago not many were dumb enough to venture out without a rifle so why is today any different? Piracy on land or sea hasn't gone away and animals that roamed then still do now.

"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Jefferson

KB9GHN, KC4YDY and N5AF like this.
  12. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Vid Julian. I like your use of solar panels and always thought a lightweight wind genny would be a great addition. Not a packable item per se but if you can load it onto some means of conveyance to get there it would come in handy during those cloudless stretches. Had one on the boat and was never wanting for power and when it was sunny I could flip a switch and let the panels take over. Side benefit was dumping excess into a cartridge heater so a hot shower was available.

Only other idea for your ventures out is equipping something along the lines of SDRuno so you can download WXfax and keep abreast of the weather conditions. I know on the boat the NOAA reports were mostly useless so I tended to go with aviation weather instead.

13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

14. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That was a storm? I camped in worse winter weather than that when I was in Boy Scouts as a kid...

OH1BOR likes this.
  15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too. Klondike Derby/Winter Camporee, anyone?

But according to Joe, yes - a blizzard. According to generic dictionary definitions, yes. However, the U.S. National Weather Service disagrees: https://www.britannicahttps://www.britannica.com/science/blizzard.com/science/blizzard

Consider the source: watch how Joe virtually destroys an otherwise fine stainless steel smoke stack in the video. It's both hilarious and sad.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    WC8E likes this.