ad: MyersEng-1

Ham Radio Camping in a storm

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Dec 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thumbnail_02.jpg

N4FZ, K7STU, K9EZ and 16 others like this.
  2. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok I enjoyed that....

If you are deploying in a car or a truck you might take a look at a Bluetti EB-70 for power. I got one earlier this year with Bluetti’s 200 watt solar panel. I have been experimenting what I can do with it, the other night my wife used a 3 quart Insta pot and cooked a meal with the EB 70 and we still had lots of power to spare so it was pretty cool.

K5BXM, KC7HDE, AD0WW and 2 others like this.
  3. KO4NRT

KO4NRT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One man in the woods gets his stuff taken away by two men in woods. Team up people this lone ranger bs will just get you rolled!

KE8OJS and W7USD like this.
  4. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea, then 3 men show up......ARM THYSELF!

K8BZ, N4FZ, KE8OJS and 5 others like this.
  5. OH8STN

Thanks.
    Going out in the Subaru is rare but often thought about building or buying another solar generator. What puts me off with commercial models is they don't have high current DC Anderson powerpole outputs. My 576wh solar generator build is still strong, but we didn't take it on this trip.
    Julian oh8stn

W7USD likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of us prefer not to live in a constant state of fear.

KC1MJZ, K0UJX, N4FZ and 20 others like this.
  7. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have built a cigarette lighter adapter to anderson powerpole cable. EB-70 uses a 716WH, LiFePO4 battery. At the cigarette lighter adapter it will put out 10A. Thats more then plenty for my FT-817nd.

N7KO, N4FZ, W8NSI and 2 others like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I really enjoyed this..... AND I have both the Surface and the Ic-705;-)

N4FZ and OH8STN like this.
  9. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Another great video, Julian.

Nothing feels better than chowing down on some good food in a warm shelter after working outside in the cold. Too bad you guys did not have any beer to go with it, but that's probably not a good idea at 60 degrees north because you won't feel yourself getting cold and you could end up suffering from exposure.

The tips you share go way beyond ham radio...SOTA/POTA in western mountains can get dangerous if the operator gets caught unprepared in a snow squall.

N4FZ, AG5VP, W4PKR and 4 others like this.
  10. OH8STN

Outstanding, I didn't know Bluetti uses LiFePO4. I'll have a look.
    Thanks

KC7JNJ likes this.
  11. OH8STN

Look Ma, No wires! :)

KK4NTX and W1YW like this.
  12. OH8STN

Thanks for the comment. Agreed, it was delicious. I still remember taking a bite and wondering if the tent was going to blow away while we were eating.
    I prefer the occasional root beer but I agree, it would have been nice:)
    Thanks for the comment and the kindness. It's very much appreciated.
    Julian oh8stn

13. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In such cases, whiskey is much better. When it comes to safety, the car is really better. For me, it is both a shack and a refuge and a source of energy.

OH8STN likes this.
  14. OH8STN

Come on guys. After so many years y'all know I don't drink alcohol anymore. You know it was getting bad when your nickname is Black Russian.

To be honest guys, I really don't like deployment in a car. I don't mind to get dropped off then hike some kilometers 4 miles to my location. To be fair though, I have thought about a snowmobile or quad, pulling a lightweight micro trailer/camper.

The tent and wood stove with snowshoes or on skis is really an experience.
    As far as the alcohol do, I do miss port-wine sometimes. I'll stick to the root beer though :)
    Julian oh8stn

W0PV, 2E0TWD, VA2SS and 1 other person like this.
  15. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In our area, the most dangerous animal is a man, so being alone in a tent in the middle of nowhere dangerous enough. In the car, I lock myself at night, and behind the tinted windows I see better what is outside than someone can see me inside. And I also use the stove outside)

In fact, everyone comes over time to the format that is most convenient for him, the main thing is just to get ass off the couch more often and go out of town)

P.S. Whiskey is better than beer, because you need to go out in the cold less at night to piss )

2E0CIT, W7UUU and OH8STN like this.