Ham radio and religious broadcasts...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE3GZB, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And you know this how? Did God tell you this? :rolleyes:

W5KUL likes this.
  2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

How many people in the US have actually been imprisoned for posting "written words" on Twitter and Facebook?

...It's all there in the news.

3. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

...if only they could remember what cocaine smells like.

4. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Business has its own radio service. Broadcast has its own radio service as well. In this country we don't have a service that limits free expression as you do.
    Please source the revenue vs expenses the royal family brings in, if so I will not repeat my accusation. I didn't know your government was in the entertainment business.
    I admit prejudice, I have visited 15 countries but I will never go to England. I did go to France but only to visit Normandy. The French named a restaurant near the Normandy beaches, Omaha, a store the Overlord. Imagine NYC naming a restaurant the 9-11 Ristorante?

W4ZD likes this.
  5. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure.

Praying to God would be exchanging a message with God, not other stations in the amateur service. It does not qualify under (1).

A prayer to God does not qualify under (2).
    A prayer to God does not qualify under (3)
    A prayer to God does not qualify under (4)
    A prayer to God does not qualify under (5)

A prayer to God does not qualify as applicable one way communications (1) - (5) above.

Since it doesn't meet the criteria above for acceptable amateur radio communications, it is not compliant with Part 97.

K6LPM and KK4CUL like this.
  6. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Totally true. People pay taxes. If a corporation is taxed it passes it on to customers and/or stock holders.

7. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think God can overrule the FCC anytime He wants to.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps. But the fact of the matter is that He has yet to do so about any FCC action. That tells me He approves highly. ;)

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

For starters you are talking about what is permitted not what is prohibited. So by your interpretation other amateurs who may be part of that conversation where a prayer is being recited would be in compliance with the rules and regulations?

10. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, now, we seem to be veering off into philosophy here. That is indeed a slippery slope.

One of the greatest mathematical minds of the 20th century was Kurt Gödel. He is famous for his Incompleteness Theorem, a topic I shall not go into. He was at the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton when Einstein was there, they would often take long walks together, who knows what they talked about?

Among his works, however, is an ontological proof of the existence of God. Perhaps this is another slippery slope, but the guy was a certifiable genius. I defer to him. Now, the thing is, if God exists, and if He is all-powerful, maybe He listens to ham transmissions. Maybe He can decode FT8 as easily as we can speak simple English. Who knows? It is all, I suppose, speculation.

Does He listen to our prayers? Who knows? We all have formed opinions on the subject, but none of us can "prove" anything. So when I see statements like "God is not a ham and doesn't respond to your prayers via the radio" I have to laugh. Speculation. Sheer speculation stated as fact. Bogus, my man, totally bogus. :)

WD4IGX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.