ad: Prosistel-1

Ham radio and religious broadcasts...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE3GZB, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

On occasion I can find religious broadcasting by apparently licensed ham operators on certain frequencies within the amateur radio bands.

Is there any rule or legislation which specifically states (either in the US or Canada) whether or not this is permitted?

73s VE3GZB

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Could you provide some more detail or examples of what you are hearing?

3. W4ZD

W4ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

N2EY likes this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a group that uses the high end of the 20 meter phone band during the daytime.

They ALL log onto the same remote base and transmit thru it.........................

For whatever reason.

Some of their prayers go on for well over 10 minutes................

I spin the dial.

Others seem to QRM them

5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

1. Broadcasting — the one way transmission of information intended for reception by the general public — is not permitted in the Amateur Service. (With a handful of specific and limited exemptions, none of which apply to religious texts)

2. Transmitting religious texts or religious based material is not prohibited. So if 2 or more amateurs are talking, and one reads religious information to the other(s), this is perfectly legal. It may be offensive to some, or in poor taste, or poor amateur practice and in general a bad idea... but it’s not illegal.

3. No one is forcing you to listen. If you don’t like what you hear, change frequency.

N1VAU, W4WTS, W5KUL and 8 others like this.
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

[​IMG]

WD4IGX likes this.
  7. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree 100% with what you're saying, but when sharing a limited resource--such as frequency space--I can't help but feel it's a little selfish of others to take up that resource unnecessarily, i.e., why spout a long prayer when you can reference it and say it off-air.

8. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bible readings and preaching. I don't mind it, I was just wondering whether it was legal or not with respect to the ham rules.

WZ7U likes this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

So who becomes the arbiter of what is a necessary use of resource?

I say so what - if they ID at the proper times, legal content shouldn't matter and it shouldn't bother anyone who believes in the first amendment.

N8VIL, AC0OB, KK4YPQ and 6 others like this.
  10. KW4GT

KW4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP is Canadian.

Besides, even if this were purely a discussion as relates to the US there's no first amendment question here. It's not the content of what's going out over the air, it's a question of whether or not they're 'broadcasting' or 'communicating'. I've heard some of the transmissions in question and in my opinion they're pushing the limit on that.

KK4CUL and ND6M like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.