ad: ProAudio-1

Ham Radio - A 6 meter cage dipole using window line.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Mar 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah Im sure is been replaced with something more modern unless the Russians are still sitting outside embassies listening to keyboard strokes. CRT radiation, etc.

You former military or spook? Nice looking town but I dont think Id live anywhere near that thing sticking up waiting to go BOOM.

Carl

2. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The guy is having fun! What is wrong with that? So the concept could have been "proven" by math! How much fun would that be? There is a relationship between radiator conductor and bandwidth. But hey rain on the parade. It is only a hobby.
    Today anyone can be a TV star or a critic. No wonder Mr Tanner stopped singing and just stuck to pressing tails!

3. W7RSO

W7RSO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

James, I enjoyed the presentation building the antenna with the materials you had present. I am unsure why your design generated the less than positive comments. Well done Sir.

2E0CIT and AJ6KZ like this.
  4. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

James, thanks for the video of your experiment, handy to see your construction techniques and results. Beginner hams will find this educative and useful. Handy also for making antennas for reception outside the ham bands, FM and TV broadcast, scanners, airband and so on.

:)Good news: there's a cage dipole calculator (DipCage2) here: http://zerobeat.net/G4FGQ/page3.html -you can vary the number of wires, diameters, lengths, etc, and it tells you the frequency and usable bandwidth,- a very handy calculator!
    :(Bad news; it won't run on any O.S. beyond Vista !

At least one respected expert has pointed out that antenna-modelling software can do the same thing, but until I learn how to model anything more complicated than a simple dipole I'll keep one old laptop running on Vista.:rolleyes:
    73, Jeff

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing.

Paper is cheaper than parts.

Who is raining on the parade? Sounds like you want everyone to just sit on their hands.

NO.

For almost all of us, Amateur Radio is indeed a "hobby". But that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for Best Practices and doing things right.

I have seen that damnable phrase "it's only a hobby" as an excuse for all sorts of bad behavior, sloppy work, poor design, unsafe practices, not having any standards, etc.

I say that being "a hobby" is a reason to do things as well as we can, not an excuse to not care.

It's always been that way.

At least he wasn't hauling 30,000 pounds of bananas into Scranton Pennsylvania.

6. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well unless a huge wireless company is paying me it is a hobby.
    Yes paper is cheaper. Math is fun, for me. But I have spent years modeling RF. More fun to build it and test it. IF you understand the math you get what you expect. Most times.
    Sit on my hands? I have worked 50-60-80 hour weeks building and maintaining the best wireless network in the south! As measured by my peers and independent testing.
    But you see social networks are a waste of time! Why? Because everyone is an expert and a critic!
    On another note. Harry was a great guy. I had the pleasure of photographing him years ago.
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsiYGNqqv
    Another thing that is only a hobby. It stopped being fun when Iwas paid.
    https://flic.kr/s/aHsiYGNqqv

7. KJ7RDV

KJ7RDV Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoyed this video. I like videos that share concepts while also being hands-on and practical.

Strong work, James. Keep going!

8. KY4GD

KY4GD Ham Member QRZ Page

If I am not mistaken, that particular scene was at the beginning of one of their movies, not the regular series. And it was pure classic, in those early years, AW was a genius almost by accident.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  9. KY4GD

KY4GD Ham Member QRZ Page

It is more accessible than ever!

In case you hadn't seen this, it is a great way to waste an afternoon:

https://github.com/martinmarinov/TempestSDR

10. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

My Mentor ALWAYS toil me the antenna then you radio! 73and apy Ho.liday. de N0CEL!

11. WS4JM

WS4JM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this the same as a "Bowtie"?

12. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you mean the antenna I built - yes, "bowtie" is a good description.

73 de Jim, N2EY

WS4JM likes this.
  13. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad I am not the first to think this to be the case.

14. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Opps forgot our in the house inventor. Just ran across him while
    Clinking the other clicker...

https://www.qrz.com/db/KB2DMD
    ant_001.JPG

Beats batman, maybe?

RRK

KJ7RDV likes this.
  15. K4KFW

K4KFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Love your picture: If it moves and should not, use duct tape. If it should move and does not, use WD-40. The only tools needed! :)