ad: Alphaant-1

Ham Radio - 630-10 meter antenna software modeling results.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Mar 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio - 630-10 meter antenna software modeling results.

2. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How many videos can one YouTuber have on the front page "News" section at one time?

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

WHY is this "promising"??

AF4RK likes this.
  4. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Malheureusement jl n'y a pas de miracle !

5. WA5MD

WA5MD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At 630 meters it's not about the gain, it's about the efficiency. How much of the applied power is actually radiated ? Can his software calculate that? And also, what is the comparison antenna in terms of what someone would normally build? I'd like to see it compared to a base-loaded monopole of the same height as one of the supporting poles, using a loading coil made of regular THNN 12 gauge wire you'd pick up at Home Depot. Maybe with a simple top-hat of the same radius as the spiral?
    No, I probably wouldn't build a base-loaded vertical for 630m, either. It's the least efficient option, but the most simple mechanically. How about a THNN 12g loading coil (practical dimensions for optimal Q) at the top of the (single) mast of the same height, and a top-loading wire?
    In these terms, with a reasonable ground plane and (relatively) high Q inductive loading due to the large diameter of the spiral, this might be practical on 630m.
    Would it stay up ???

KA0HCP likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'gain ' calculation shown includes the inefficiency caused by ohmic losses.

Pleas: let's not get into one of those 'gain' vs 'realized gain' discussions. The value shown incorporates the losses, demonstrating it is highly inefficient.

If they ran the model with NO LOSSES, then the efficiency can be estimated by comparison, but it will be bogus-- the ground is not modeled accurately and the 'model' uses radials rather than a single ground rod into poor to fair ground.

7. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

From what I can see, its simply a giant air core loading coil without the usual so-called "Stinger".

KQ9J likes this.
  8. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've seen enough of 'TBT's posts before, to understand that being "accurate" is not one of his priorities ...

AF4RK likes this.
  9. K0MAN

K0MAN Ham Member QRZ Page

So much Negativity!! Without experimentation we would have never left the cave!!! Keep on it KB7TBT!!

10. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

While there is negativity and for good reason, there is also reality.

W5CJA likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got my pickle jars and some acid and aluminum foil. My 'experiment' with acid supercharged Leyden jars looks...'promising'!!

NOT!

12. KX4TT

KX4TT Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip, you have to be going exactly 88 mph. Then the Leyden Jar behaves as a Flux Capacitor!

73 de Lee KX4TT

W1YW likes this.