Ham Radio 360: Extra Class Upgrade with W4EDF

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4CDN, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, one more reason!
    But if your transceiver is "open" in frequencies then you will have to worry about it whatever license level. But then we speak about outside amateur bands rather than internal band plan.
    Half of mine gear came unlocked already when purchased (new and even not requested for) , so the band limits is something I never forget.

2. K7LRC

K7LRC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of good points here, and some not so productive. I'm a new HAM in my 50's and had to put in some work to get all three tickets, even being an EE. It was a great refresher and opportunity to learn more about HAM radio, a life-long goal of mine. It was about setting a goal and achieving it. Times do change, and we need to accept that. And here I sit, looking at my glorious modern-day transceiver, proudly positioned next to a few 60's and 70's boat anchors. The new and the old can get along just fine! This is a great hobby, no matter how far you take it, CW or not. Peace.

KD9ERA and KG5THG like this.
  3. KD9ERA

KD9ERA Subscriber QRZ Page

I really like this reply!
    I was a novice back in the 80's, and due to Life dropped ham altogether.
    In the October of 2015, for another reason, I earned my Tech License, by March 0f 2016, I earned the Amateur Extra License.
    The gentleman here is correct, in the study habits and information retention. It is amazing how much we can forget in a short period of time
    I used the Gordon West program, to guide me through the rough spots.
    I respect the older hams, however, I have no real interest in CW, PSK, nor the digital modes, other than maybe some Satellite / LEO stuff.
    Go as far as you can go as soon as you can and enjoy the hobby.
    I too became an ARRL-VE and W5YI-VEC, just to try to give back a little.

K7LRC likes this.
  4. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As promised I give a feedback after passing my Extra ticket Today.
    Took a test with VE France and passed all three exams without much difficulty ...but with a lot of stress :).
    So what I can say to other candidates ? Don't give up... you can study books or question pool. With the books you will get more understanding for sure and anyway a solid background doesn't hurt.

Next target will be re-learning Morse code although there is no more any deadlines so self-motivation will be crucial....

73 Thomas

KG5THG and AB3TQ like this.