ad: Retevis-1

Ham Radio 2.0: Episode 68 - TYT's MD-398 10-watt DMR HT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Nov 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W5KV likes this.
  2. KF7WAG

KF7WAG Ham Member QRZ Page

10 watt's, Plural

3. W8LGZ

W8LGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

His subject line is correct as 10 watt the way he used it, his use of "watts" in the first sentence is also correct. Your correction is wrong (watt's) due to you typed as either possessive or the contraction of "watt is".

4. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

You are totally wrong.. It's WATTS, not Watt's...

K3TEF likes this.
  5. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

An Observation:

You are plenty articulate, and capable of producing a really sharp, concise commentary with modest preparation. A short video that moves along smartly and quickly hits the high points would be much more effective and make you look really good.

So, next time, PULEEZE do your homework, make notes, gather your thoughts, BEFORE you turn the camera on. Hearing you say, "I don't know, but we will soon know...?" is a waste of the viewer's time. Maybe you could research the rig BEFORE YOU BUY IT, and you will look even better, as you will know what you are buying before it arrives in the mail. The main points could be presented in about three minutes; the remainder is essentially fluff. You will spend less time recording, and we will spend less time watching. Slogging through an "unboxing," and several minutes of speculation about features and capabilities is a serious waste of time.

Secondary (i.e., less important) Observations:

An "unboxing?" Really? Teenagers make YouTube videos to brag about getting a new $30 xBox headset - not the best use of of the viewer's time.

One could dispute the suggested definition "craft beer ..." ;-)

It says "Live in the Shack" - but I sorta doubt a video recording constitutes a "live in the shack" performance. Hopefully everyone in the video was "alive" when you made the recording, but going "live" usually means a presentation in real time.

Serious Bottom line:

Good luck with your next video. Perhaps, you will research, make notes, and organize your thoughts before rolling the tape, and it will be short and quite to the point. This will have greater impact on the viewer, and make you look really even better.

Just MY take... others mileage may differ. JR

AB9QU likes this.
  6. N2OBS

N2OBS Ham Member QRZ Page

10 watt handheld transceiver? Seriously stupid, and a great way to damage already damaged soft tissue of the human body, but its a free will world so enjoy the cancer.

7. KC5HWB

It's the new and hip thing to do. Several HTs out there like that now. Not that I don't agree with you, because I do. You'd want to use an external speaker-mic most of the time, I'd expect.

8. KC5HWB

The point of the video is to discover and test the radio with the viewer, not to give an overall analysis of a radio I've been using for a long time. An unboxing video is just that.... buy it, unbox it, plug it up an test it. Your opinion, while I appreciate it, doesn't align with other viewers who've provided feedback.

I do other videos of radios I have used for a while, usually they are "how to program" videos, and those receive mostly positive feedback as well.

I do my videos the way that I like, and for the most part, they are well received. Of course I enjoy hearing positive feedback, both constructive criticism and praise, but I can't please everyone all the time. However, I do often take advice from viewers and try to mold my videos to provide the type of material that the majority of the audience requests.

9. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow... what a refreshingly polite and courteous reply ! While we differ on the matter, I appreciate you take my comments in stride and acknowledge they are intended as helpful. So, while we may not agree, I will buy the first round of beer whenever we meet, perhaps at Dayton or another hamfest someday! / JR /

KC5HWB likes this.
  10. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think with the TS1-only limitation, this is not useful on most amateur DMR networks. The MD-380/390 are the real deal. But if you need a 10 watt analog radio for UHF, at that price, it's attractive.

KC5HWB likes this.
  11. N8VIL

N8VIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunally I purchased the GD-55 which is the same radio. Not good for DMR as it only supports one timeslot. Nice solid built radio for the price. I was able to return for a refund and purchased a TYT MD-390. If DMR really sparks my interest I will purchase a better quality radio.

KC5HWB likes this.
  12. KC5HWB

The MD-390 is a pretty decent radio for the price. If you find a good Motorola for a good price, you can upgrade - but the MD-390 will surely do for you until then.