ad: AbAuRe-1

Ham Radio 2.0: Episode 67 - Yaesu FT-891 Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Nov 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

UUUMMMMM, this radio does not have digital mode... Would you like to clarify on what you are talking about?

2. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Data. As his video shows about 26 seconds into it.

Pedanticism. Look it up.

Or, instead of being argumentative, actually look at his video and it will show what he is talking about.

I wonder if it still has output out of the miniature connector. I don't want to hear digi modes in my speaker anyway.

--Shane
    KD6VXI

3. K8CPT

K8CPT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

no output either way. Thanks for asking

4. NO9E

NO9E Ham Member QRZ Page

A good radio is that one where people hear me especially when I am mobile or portable.

FT-891 has TX and RX equalizer. Also speech processor implemented in DSP. A good speech processor quadruples the average power in SSB, and TX EQ can make it sound nice even from mediocre microphone. So possibly 400W performance from a 100W radio although how good really the PROC is in FT-891 needs to be tested. The processors in IC-7000 and 7100 or old FT100D were practically useless. The PROC in 857D was more effective but not nice to listen to.

Ignacy, NO9E

5. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll have to disagree with you on the processor of the IC-7000. I've never owned an IC-7100, and the FT-100D has multiple problems found all over the web. I've used the FT-857D while on DXpedition, some of the guys I was traveling with had these, and their processor didn't stack up as well as my IC-706MKIIG. And my IC-7000 in the truck does a better job than the IC-706MKIIG.

Other than this 1 issue, I agree with the rest of what you said. I think the processor in the FT-891 is a very good one - much better than the FT-857D.

6. N1RVN

N1RVN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have tested the noise blanker (NB) over the last few days. All I can say: IT WORKS! I love that it can be turned on with the push of a button.

Note that the NB is designed "to reduce pulse noise such as noise caused by automotive ignition systems" - and it does that brilliantly... ignition noise from my Chevy Tahoe is wiped out completely. My only concern is that the quality of the audio is slightly affected when NB is turned on (becomes slightly "digitized" or I should say sounds a bit like a robot), but I have not yet gone into the settings - pulse width, attenuation, and blanker level can be adjusted.

The FT-891 also has DNR, Digital Noise Reduction - to improve ambient noise level especially on SSB. It contains 15 different algorithms, each designed to deal with a different noise profile. That's what I will test next.

All-in-all I am very pleased with the rig. Granted, I don't have extensive experience with mobile rigs, but the included 3 KHz filter and especially the adjustable IF filter make this rig a 21st century model.

I can get 4-5 hours of uninterrupted use ( about 80/20 RX/TX on SSB, TX set to 100 watts) from a 12V 6Ah Bioenno lithium iron phosphate battery.

K7LZR, KC5HWB and WV4M like this.
  7. K6GS

K6GS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wondered if you're still running this setup. I've become SOTA-curious, and this is the top candidate as I'll so SSB and given propagation having the extra power (and money savings) over a KX-2 seems attractive. Was also looking at the Bioenno 12Ah battery - amazed you're getting 4-5 hours out of the 6Ah one. Maybe between that and the 28W solar panel I've got I'd be set, though more to haul in the backpack.

8. N1RVN

Yes, the setup is still working just fine. With the current propagation conditions you will increase your chances of making a contact using full 100 watts into a decent antenna on SSB. A QRP rig at 5 watts may work for CW but not for voice... in most cases anyway.

9. K6GS

K6GS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, that has been my experience. While I can push the KX2 up to 12W, I haven't had a lot of luck with SSB contacts. My 891 showed up this week - works well at home (worked Spain with it on 20M), will use it for SOTA this weekend.

10. N1RVN

Have fun!