ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Radio 2.0: Episode 67 - Yaesu FT-891 Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Nov 15, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AF4KK, KA8UGB, WJ2L and 5 others like this.
  2. WB4TJH

WB4TJH Ham Member QRZ Page

The old FT857 requires accessory plug in narrow filters and its DSP is audio based. The new FT891 uses IF DSP filtering, includes a 3KHz roofing filter and the receiver is much more advanced, so there is a LOT of new technology in it compared to the older radio. As for my self, I don't need the VHF and UHF built in, so I don" miss that. I might just trade my FT450D for one this year.

ZS6AF and NL7W like this.
  3. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like you had fun down in Costa Rica.... I made contact with you twice while you were down there on 20m and 15m.

Great video!

73 de KM4SII

4. KC5HWB

If you don't miss that, then this would be a great rig, I believe. The filtering in it did work quite well

Great, thanks for watching and for the QSO!

AF4KK and WA5WA like this.
  5. K8CPT

K8CPT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Returned my 891 do to a defect. When i was in digital mode i would have no receive when i powered the radio unless i triggered the PTT. Might try one again in a year or 2 when the bugs are worked out. 73s

P.S. Good video !

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    AF4KK and KA8UGB like this.
  6. KD2GIY

KD2GIY Ham Member QRZ Page

857d all day. thats all I'm going to say. this is kd2giy by the bay.

AF4KK likes this.
  7. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had many Yaesu's as I consider myself a Yaesu station
    This one is just not for me
    Yaesu we need a replacement rig for The FT847 the size of The FT 3000
    Not sure why the delay ?
    Just curious

W9KXI and AF4KK like this.
  8. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

my 891 works just as fine as my 847 still does, just smaller and better receiver DSP...

AF4KK and KC5HWB like this.
  9. KC5HWB

As I've said, the filtering on this FT-891 is great. I do like that part of it. For those not caring about VHF/UHF all-mode capabilities, this rig might be good for you, I just think I would wait until it's been out for a few months and the price to drop.

W5KV and AF4KK like this.
  10. KK6ZHJ

KK6ZHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks good, but isnt the receive-only current drain like four times that of the discontinued 897D? Does anybody know how much that can be ameliorated by turning off the backlighting or using an earphone? At least the 857D is still out there in production, but it is antiquated. Lets hope when the 857D is replaced, it will be replaced by a more efficient unit to save on batteries in the field.

AF4KK likes this.
  11. AE7RZ

AE7RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Unboxing and making a few contacts on 40m is hardly a review in my opinion. One should know a little more about the features of a new rig before trying to review. This neither makes me want to get a FT 891 or not. I was hoping for a review not just your opinion.

12. KC5HWB

Good question. I didn't test the amperage or voltage usage of this rig. I'd be curious to see that myself.

13. KK6ZHJ

Okay, I cant get onto the main yaesu website now, but the UK website pdf specs for the 857D says "squelched" drain is 550mA, and Receive is 1A. Not sure if "receive" means "unsquelched" when the speaker is playing all the static: http://www.yaesu.co.uk/files/FT-857D_Operating Manual.pdf

The ft-891 entry doesnt have a pdf associated with it on the UK website, and the ft-891 listed specs on the website dont list receive current drain, but I believe I read before and that it was 2.0A, not sure if that is squelched or not.

I am sure the volume setting affects the current drain, and the LCD display would too. Maybe this is just something Hams will have to test.

14. AE7RZ

AE7RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like 2.0A with a signal (unsquelched?). How many actually use squelch on HF?
    upload_2016-11-17_11-37-20.png

15. KK6ZHJ

Okay, so the ft-891 current drain is roughly double the ft-857D. So I wonder how much that is affected by the display backlight setting and whether the ft-891 is readable in the daytime outdoors with the backlight off (if the screen in angled correctly in regards to the sun). I think most TFT screens are daylight readable without the backlight.