Ham QTH massive HDD failure

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0EYJ, Sep 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

From their site:

2. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah that might explain why my HamQTH DX cluster is not working any more....

3. W1PPP

W1PPP Ham Member QRZ Page

Please forgive the hijack, but I assume all the logging programs need someone else's database in order for them to function?

4. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

I can only speak for cqrlog. It uses the data bases (hamqth, qrz.com) for filling in QSO data and display QSL info etc. but does not require them to work.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like a case of nobody ever looking at the server, and not paying attention to remote notifications all the RAID controllers can provide if set up for that.

Oh well.

K8AI and KF2M like this.
  6. W0MSN

W0MSN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a good lesson for all of us. Back up valuable data often .

I had a service business back in the 80s that we used a Sanyo PC running DOS to keep all of our crews billable hours on. I was sitting across from my brother as he was typing in the last days records for the month when I noticed sweat dripping down his face. He told me that he just lost all the data on the computer. Apparently he typed the word "kill" into the wrong command prompt and it erased the entire disk.

I'm over 60 so I grew up with paper photographs and still have boxes of them. All photos now are digital so my kids won't have boxes of photos to hand down to their children unless they print them and chances are the ink will be gone in 30 years. I'm sure every day there are thousands of valuable family photos that vanish into digital dust because of junk hard drives, phones that drop into the lake etc. I used to put photos on DVDs but most computers don't have DVD drives any more. Large capacity flash and external hard drives are really cheap now but not enough people use them for back up. I paid $130 for a dell 164mb USB flash drive when they first came out, now you can get 32GB for 10 to 15 dollars. USB may not be around in the near future? Maybe the Cloud is our only hope.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  7. WF4W

WF4W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

if you're not recoverable, maybe time to sell the domain :)

8. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would be more concerned about the integrity of paper photographs then digital media.

K2CD likes this.
  9. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe they should rebuild in AWS this time.

KR2C likes this.
  10. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? Plenty of old photographs around. Some more than 100 years old. I know - digital media hasn't been around that long.

I mean, paper tape will last as long as pictures, even if no one has a reader. Same with Punch cards. And that 8" floppy disk is getting just a little harder to find something to read it with - outside of a museum.

Try this. Go to your local college and hand out 3.5" floppy disks to IT students and ask them what it is. Hand them a picture of a cowboy from the mid 1800's and do the same.

Wanna bet which they can ID the first time?????

ZL2IFB and KG5KOG like this.