Ham Organization!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD9LFZ, Dec 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done Leah!
    Keep up the good videos, I enjoy watching them. Your Dad is also a good influence ;)

KD9LFZ, 2E0TWD and KD5BVX like this.
  2. K8DQ

K8DQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nice work on the video, Leah. Oh, and find a safe place to store that Timex/Sinclair computer on the shelf behind you! :)

3. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a great idea, the concept is basically sound be prepared to keep scaling up. Referred to as the "Ham Radio Junk Box"... Over the decades mine grew from a few boxes to 100 Big Rubbermaid Tubs stacked two high in rows with four foot walking distance between the stacks, Covering the 24x40' upper deck on top of our office. The rest of the "Inventory" spread out over rows and alleys of several thousand square feet of heated warehouse space. When we moved out of the warehouse 4 10X24 foot storage units were filled nearly to the ceilings... and that was AFTER filling multiple dumpsters FULL of stuff I thought I could live without and wish now I still had. I'm now down to 4 full three shelf very long and strong hand built storage RACKS in the big center room of the basement and all of the rafter space in the garage, well Craig said the disassembled antennas are up there but honestly I didn't look. I spent 4 of the last 7 years selling off most of the very expensive Ham Goodies not needed but wish I still had a half dozen 8877's and a very nice collection of amplifier pairs of vacuum variables. I didn't see your shoe collection though? I can't get far enough back to photo mine in one frame... You're still young, In radio if you're not on a Buildup, you're in a decline... Another Famous competitor once said, If you're not first you're last. :) Keep up the good work.

DSC_0035.JPG

KA0USE and W1YW like this.
  4. KN6HVU

KN6HVU Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

5. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Leah,

Great video! (Love the scrunchie! My great niece has a bunch...and is into chokers, too).

We older hams, especially men, tend to say over and over that we "want," no "need," young people to join us in amateur radio. I'm glad that your Dad got you involved. Please ignore the negativity in some posts regarding your video. No, having been in Intellectual Property endeavors for several decades, I fully knew that you were not meaning that you had file a patent claim at USPTO. And, there is no need to "correct" you on this point. Many of us older folks just don't have much tolerance for others unlike us in terms of amateur radio. I call this "hardening of the categories," akin to the term hardening of the arteries. But keep publishing your videos. You are your age and who you are. Your mode of expression is lively, energetic and something that amateur radio needs. And, we graybeards need to let young people just be themselves.

I have a backpack that I bought from the powerportstore.com (https://www.powerportstore.com/product-page/worldpack-706-with-radio-head-case) that I'm going to try with my G90. If you go there, check the internal dimensions for I have not. But, it has a bottom that zips open that is designed for a rechargeable battery. One thing about a case for the G90 is whether it's only for transporting it or also for use as a cover for operating. If the latter, air flow and openings for wiring are very important. For instance, for my Yaesu FT-891, I use it portable in a wireless microphone case from Gator Case. It's not a hardshell Gator Case so it's lightweight and ticks all the boxes for top and bottom openings for cabling and air flow. See https://www.gatorcases.com/products...ireless-microphone/wireless-system-bag-gm-1w/.

You're building an impressive collection of ham gear. Getting organized is a great thing because of it. Keep us posted here on QRZed about how the case thing works out, ok?

Frank
    K4FMH
    Assistant Director, Delta Division, ARRL

KD5BVX, KD9LFZ and KI5AAI like this.
  6. W7OMH

W7OMH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great work Leah! I wish my daughter had an interest. Right now its Roblox, and Minecraft while meeting up online face timing while playing.Keep going and its great that girls your age are taking an interest especially doing QRP. All I hear from my wife and daughter is that I'm in my ham shack. I can't even watch my 4K tv. On the other hand if they were interested in Ham radio. I might not be able to be in my shack!

7. M0RMY

M0RMY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Brilliant Leah. I wish you and your family a great Christmas and, to you, enjoy the excitement of learning about this hobby. I just got a IC705 and am beginning to try to delve into DStar. Your generation lives in a technology world. Those of us born in the '60s just have have a technology 'green card' and it's fascinating keeping up!! Regards to your Dad too. 73 from UK. Tom M0RMY

8. AD3AA

AD3AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Leah good video You should start a business doing organization of ham equipment.

9. KC1DR

KC1DR Subscriber QRZ Page

Unsolicited advice is rarely appreciated.

W1YW, KI5HNX and KD5BVX like this.
  10. N7KO

N7KO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Being unorganized has it's plus's, Heck I find stuff all the time that I thought was lost forever while looking for something else.

A tip I have is if you are looking for your soldering iron, start looking for your Simpson meter.
    Works every time.
    Remember Wilson's law, what you are looking for will be found in the last place you look.

W9EBE likes this.