ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Organization!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD9LFZ, Dec 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Leah, fantastic! Keep going forward, you will do more to attract young Hams than ARRL, could every do! My son (KI5FJE), Adam is a big fan of yours

NN2X / Tom

KD9LFZ and KF7PBM like this.
  2. N8LI

N8LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video. Good - keep up posting these.

You really do not need much organizing (not much stuff). One needs to start thinking about organizing only when the labeled boxes themselves start getting lost :)

KB3UWC, KD5BVX and KI5AAI like this.
  3. KD9LFZ

KD9LFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No way, if my dad can beat you at his skill level then imagine trying to beat me at my skill level :) jk you would probably beat me every time in an FT8 competition!

4. KD9LFZ

KD9LFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't been able to get any of my friends geographically close to me interested, but a lot of my close friends also like flying airplanes and ham radio and technology! I met most of them through the LICW online CW classes!

KI5AAI likes this.
  5. KF6FRR

KF6FRR Ham Member QRZ Page

Type A personality people do not like to waste time. Most ALL type A people will be organized most of the time. Good job Leah. I know you said a "Bag" for the G-90, but how about a small case, like a Yeti hard case. Some on the site will gig me for the suggestion, but, Harbor Freight has a nice selection of hard cases with foam interiors, and not that expensive either. Hard outside for toughness, soft inside for protection of the radio and accessories. Just a thought! 73

N0TZU, KD5BVX and W1YW like this.
  6. KI7WL

KI7WL Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like a lot of work to have to unpack all those boxes for everything that used to be in your backpack. Why not just put all the HF stuff in its own separate bag? I have found all those boxes with all their packing materials take up far more room.

You also defeated the purpose of a Go Bag. I think over time you will find that father does not always know best :) Being able to bug out at a moments notice can reap invaluable benefit.

It seems to me your dad's system was for a bunch of stuff he has accumulated over the years and is actually not being used currently. But I am betting his actual current station is not all boxed up.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  7. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good enthusiasm, keep at it. ;);););)

KD5BVX likes this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They also have decent selection of small item storage boxes with removable dividers. I’ve got several for things like connector adapters, crimp terminals, parts, etc. Not much to go wrong with a plastic box.

KD5BVX likes this.
  9. N0QIX

N0QIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice video. I wish you luck on all your expeditions.
    73 de N0QIX

KD5BVX likes this.
  10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I save the amber colored prescription medicine bottles, they are handy for storing small parts such as fuses, 4-40 hardware, ring terminals, powerpole parts, etc

KG5THG, KD5BVX and W1YW like this.
  11. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done Leah!
    Keep up the good videos, I enjoy watching them. Your Dad is also a good influence ;)

KD9LFZ, 2E0TWD and KD5BVX like this.
  12. K8DQ

K8DQ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice work on the video, Leah. Oh, and find a safe place to store that Timex/Sinclair computer on the shelf behind you! :)

13. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a great idea, the concept is basically sound be prepared to keep scaling up. Referred to as the "Ham Radio Junk Box"... Over the decades mine grew from a few boxes to 100 Big Rubbermaid Tubs stacked two high in rows with four foot walking distance between the stacks, Covering the 24x40' upper deck on top of our office. The rest of the "Inventory" spread out over rows and alleys of several thousand square feet of heated warehouse space. When we moved out of the warehouse 4 10X24 foot storage units were filled nearly to the ceilings... and that was AFTER filling multiple dumpsters FULL of stuff I thought I could live without and wish now I still had. I'm now down to 4 full three shelf very long and strong hand built storage RACKS in the big center room of the basement and all of the rafter space in the garage, well Craig said the disassembled antennas are up there but honestly I didn't look. I spent 4 of the last 7 years selling off most of the very expensive Ham Goodies not needed but wish I still had a half dozen 8877's and a very nice collection of amplifier pairs of vacuum variables. I didn't see your shoe collection though? I can't get far enough back to photo mine in one frame... You're still young, In radio if you're not on a Buildup, you're in a decline... Another Famous competitor once said, If you're not first you're last. :) Keep up the good work.

DSC_0035.JPG

KA0USE and W1YW like this.
  14. KN6HVU

KN6HVU Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

15. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Leah,

Great video! (Love the scrunchie! My great niece has a bunch...and is into chokers, too).

We older hams, especially men, tend to say over and over that we "want," no "need," young people to join us in amateur radio. I'm glad that your Dad got you involved. Please ignore the negativity in some posts regarding your video. No, having been in Intellectual Property endeavors for several decades, I fully knew that you were not meaning that you had file a patent claim at USPTO. And, there is no need to "correct" you on this point. Many of us older folks just don't have much tolerance for others unlike us in terms of amateur radio. I call this "hardening of the categories," akin to the term hardening of the arteries. But keep publishing your videos. You are your age and who you are. Your mode of expression is lively, energetic and something that amateur radio needs. And, we graybeards need to let young people just be themselves.

I have a backpack that I bought from the powerportstore.com (https://www.powerportstore.com/product-page/worldpack-706-with-radio-head-case) that I'm going to try with my G90. If you go there, check the internal dimensions for I have not. But, it has a bottom that zips open that is designed for a rechargeable battery. One thing about a case for the G90 is whether it's only for transporting it or also for use as a cover for operating. If the latter, air flow and openings for wiring are very important. For instance, for my Yaesu FT-891, I use it portable in a wireless microphone case from Gator Case. It's not a hardshell Gator Case so it's lightweight and ticks all the boxes for top and bottom openings for cabling and air flow. See https://www.gatorcases.com/products...ireless-microphone/wireless-system-bag-gm-1w/.

You're building an impressive collection of ham gear. Getting organized is a great thing because of it. Keep us posted here on QRZed about how the case thing works out, ok?

Frank
    K4FMH
    Assistant Director, Delta Division, ARRL

KD5BVX, KD9LFZ and KI5AAI like this.