HAM Operating on a Military Base

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KJ6UFY, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4ISR

K4ISR Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread caught my attention, I am just outside Eglin AFB and was curious if there are any online maps or sources for unapproved frequencies for the buffer zones? I will be taking my Tech test soon and figured I would learn this stuff now before I get a knock at my door from an FCC agent and military police. I figure the 2m and 70cm bands shouldn't have a problem, especially at 5W station to start (which from my house would easily reach the base), but just want to check and be safe now.

2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I would contact the Eglin Communications Department and speak with the Comm Officer or his assistant (not to some E3 who's stuck with phone duty).

Suggestion: don't introduce yourself as "Screwball".

3. K4ISR

K4ISR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. I did find some info online that says within 200 miles of Eglin (and certain other bases) that the 70cm band is limited to a max 50W.

I will check with them around the time I get my call sign.

Also this is just a generic name I used for the forum until I get my ID.

4. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was first licensed I was stationed at RAF Chicksands. I was told by my elmer friend who helped me get licensed that you had to have permission from the base commander to operate a ham station. However, I just kept it on the down-low as all I had was a dual band HT and the chances of me interfering with anyone was nil, since the SP's were the only ones using two-way radio on 400 MHZ, and we had no flight line to worry about. Running 5W from a rubber duckie to a local repeater wasn't an issue.

5. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Ham Member QRZ Page

While stationed at Anderson AFB, Guam during the early 80's, I had a blast operating my rig while living in base housing. Any antenna installation require an approved AF322 which was routed through the appropriate agencies. Dipoles weren't a problem but I once tried to get approval to build/install an 80m delta loop which was disapproved for obvious reasons! There was also a Mars Shack will some equipment to play with if you wanted something to do. Worked many DX contacted from that little island!

Frank
    KM4FVI

6. KE7AGK

KE7AGK Ham Member QRZ Page

It was the same for me as well from 1992-2013, permission had to be granted for amateur/or any transmitting radios, and at F.E. Warren Wyoming 1992-1996 permission was needed for scanners too.

7. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was stationed in Korea in 2000 I strung an 80 meter dipole between two of the dorm buildings, operated there for a year, and nobody said a thing.

8. KK6RBI

KK6RBI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm stationed on Miramar and have been unable to find anything about restrictions on this installation. The only places I've seen signs on base have been going onto the flight line and RSL areas where they store ammunition. I haven't had my ticket that long but have been in the middle of contacts going though the gate and haven't had the gate guards say anything to me yet. And I'm running a large CB antenna and a 1/4 wave dual band right on the front of my Jeep for all to see.

That's not to say that there aren't rules and regs on the subject, I've worked gate duty before and couldn't tell ya much about base regulations past what I needed to know to man the gate. :)

9. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Answered my own post! Dang smartphone.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  10. KD0PEZ

KD0PEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not know what the rules (if any) the installation commander had about "operating from his installation".

BUT.....we had quite a few folks on base with CB's in their vehicles. We also had truck drivers who would come on base. And I would imagine some of them had high powered radios/amps...you know, the kind that bleed all over the place. I know for a fact that they used their CB's while on base.

YET....I don't think they were "questioned" about it by the SP's (cops) at the gate.

Therefore I highly doubt the installation commander was concerned with what I may have been doing, so as long as I wasn't modifying the house. Otherwise a ban would have been imposed on all the CBers on base. Especially those running amps and hacked radios.

Also the SP's had trunking radios, so no one could interfere with them.

But I no longer live on base, I finally own my own home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.