HAM Operating on a Military Base

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KJ6UFY, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K0HB

K0HB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I spent 21 years as a Navy radioman, and I could tell you tales that would curl your hair. The rules are there for a reason.

2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

From 1963 to 1966, USS Kitty Hawk (CVA-63) was on 40 through 10 meters as K7KBN/MM with a Collins S-Line and a top-fed vertical. Of course, once we left First Fleet and became part of Seventh Fleet (i.e. when we were west of 160 degrees east longitude), we had to secure the transmitter. Never had problems. The CO and Flag visited the shack quite often, so we hams had to keep it looking good.

3. K4KWH

K4KWH Guest

It always helps to have "friends" in high places.;) One such friend of amateur radio was USAF Gen. Curtis LeMay!:D I read that he was instrumental in getting effective global comms for USAF and Strategic Air Command thru the 50's and 60's. I did know his call (read it somewhere), but from the article I read (also years ago), he was quite the active ham himself! Probably there was not much "restriction" on his watch, either! ;)

What is sometimes overlooked is, amateur radio has such a cross section of knowledge of radio. However, people in their lack of knowledge tend to minimize the vast pool of talent that exists within the hobby, and they lump it in with CB, etc, and trivialize our hobby needlessly. It is true that milcomm is sometimes rigid and encapsulated such that THEY can't see us as having any such knowledge. Others, better informed, realize that talent and take advantage of it. OTH, I can understand the reasons for milcomm restricting our operations within their perimeter. OPSEC has become SO much stricter post 9/11, and any breach of info, however accidental, could be dangerous. Even here, I've watched discussion of such things as frequencies of operations which may or may not be important, but OPSEC teaches to never, never, never talk about frequencies (and other things).:confused: That makes it "sticky" because someone who may be in the military may be a ham, but is not part of milcomm. Because it is so natural to talk about specific things, where one is operating from, etc, it is easy to slip and reveal something that one doesn't even realize he is revealing. So to "chink" any cracks, so to speak, they *MAY* not want civilian radio stations on base without having certain controls. After all, It IS their turf and their decision, and they are only trying to keep our country safe from those who would like nothing better than to destroy us!:D

4. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I no longer work on the military base, hopefully my move to another area more out into the country, will enable me to actually hear other hams on my HF radio.

5. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Perfect solution, not only for military base operation but to be able to ignore HOA restrictions. Hide the antenna in plain sight on the car! You won't rule the band...probably won't bust pile-ups...but you will be able to operate with impunity.

6. K0HB

K0HB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are on a military base, your privilege to establish a radio station will be granted (or not) by the commander of the installation. Proceed at your own risk if you have no permission. If your transmissions cause a problem with their communications, expect your "impunity" to be cancelled abruptly.

7. N5TWB

N5TWB Ham Member QRZ Page

If Ft. Sill OK (147 sq. miles) is big enough for 155mm (and I know it is for an absolute fact) then Ft. Hood @ 335 sq. miles is most certainly big enough and has been for quite some time.

8. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Only two ranges on Ft Hood are big enough. Crittenberger and one of the ranges on West Ft Hood.

9. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It would depend on direction the barrels were pointed when the 155s were fired. It is possible Ft. Hood added acerage since the last time I was in that area, which was decades ago.

10. KF5VGK

KF5VGK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back on topic, I live near and work on Ft. Hood. I have looked around in the regs for Ft. Hood guidance regarding amatuer radio. All I can find so far is who to contact if you want to install a CB base station antenna at on-base housing. Haven't seen much regarding HAM radio, but I could be looking in the wrong place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.