ad: Alphaant-1

Ham Nation - Updating Your Shack & How To Run Ham Sticks

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Jan 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB7AA

KB7AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Have run HF mobile off and on for yrs, ts50 and hamsticks. Many times i get calls accusing me of not being mobile! i had toyota camrys, and calles dealer to confirm if trunk had metal washers, not plastic. they said yes...so trunk was grounded. had very good mobikle signals back then.... 73...kb7aa

N4GST and KD5BVX like this.
  2. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The segments are typically all prerecorded with the live banter being at the beginning and between segments and at the end. Same as it has been before and it makes sense from a production standpoint.

It was Josh’s first time hosting so hopefully he will work it in to a better show than the old one.

I had stopped watching HN a long time ago because it wasn’t my cup of tea. I enjoy Randy’s segments but they are on his channel themselves so that’s good.

I’m giving it a chance again and assuming that Josh will improve it over the next few weeks.

3. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Deadly Dull", LOL
    I've had great results with various mfj sticks on mobiles 6-20m, gets tougher for 40 and 80, solid mount and grounding is key. However, have many times used them on my work veh and rentals where mag mount was the only option...less than stellar but if you lower your expectations for performance they can make a long road trip less..."Deadly"..lol

N4GST and KD5BVX like this.
  4. KA3QOT

KA3QOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not blaming Josh at all. He tried his best. The show needs more spontaneity and interactivity. For example, instead of West droning on and on in a segment, he should do it live, so he can take questions from the chat. The show's way too stuffy. And I really wish they'd get rid of ICOM commercials.

5. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oddly enough Gordo's short shots are all done live. I do want to include some Q&A with Gordo as he is a welth of knowledge. You have to hand it to him that he can run through that many slides and talk about whats going on as fast as he does. I don't think I could do that on my show. I'd like add in my own questions at the end of his short shots as I am generally intrigued by alot of it.

Ham Radio Newsline, Dr. T's update are pre-recorded. Randy is also going to work in some fun projects going forward as well.

Its funny, I can't really win either way I go. In other videos where f I ask for subs, or to check out links in the description, I get neggative comments. If I let an ad on, people don't like that either. I don't pretend to be a comercial television station, but my production certainly isn't free. Also, ICOM does the giveaway for the viewers which I think is worth time for them to talk to their products.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for taking the time to watch![/QUOTE]

KK9W and KD5BVX like this.
  6. KA3QOT

KA3QOT Ham Member QRZ Page

[/QUOTE]

Just please make the show more interactive! Make us feel like part of the show. Perhaps even do a show where the panel answers questions from the chat. In its present format, it's too preachy.

But I appreciate you putting it on!

KA3QOT

7. K0WJ

K0WJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For instance: a door hinge will NOT provide sufficient bonding, you must use a wide (1") braid across every hinge, including doors, trunk deck lid, hood, etc. In addition, the tail pipe must be bonded to the frame of the vehicle both before and after the catalytic converter, etc., etc. And I'm not sure why Mr. West doesn't know what an Allen Screw is, but I nit pick.

8. KD5BVX

I understand them being a sponsor. If it was you or I sponsoring we’d want our minute too.

It’s probably too much trouble but it might seem less commercial if Josh or someone did the Icom ad live instead of playing the one with George talking...

Like I said, I think Josh is going to work it into something better but it won’t happen over night.

9. M0DDR

M0DDR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's an age thing. Perhaps it ain't hit you yet but at about 50 years the old memory slackens off a bit.

N4GST likes this.
  10. M0DDR

It's not the ads I object to, they are very necessary. What bugs me is the way all the presenters paw, grovel and praise ICOM. They almost sound like Cable TV shopping channel presenters.

WW2PT, KA3QOT and KE0GXN like this.
  11. KD5BVX

I can follow that. Of course, if someone is sponsored by, say, Ford, they will praise Ford vehicles and not others. If they praised Yaesu or Kenwood radios then Icom would say "hey what's going on? We're going to pull our sponsorship!"

12. M0DDR

I don't believe the presenters are being objective. ICOM get their paid slot but don't give them free ads as well.

13. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s six or a half dozen either way you look at...

The “presenters” are always beholden (whether they admit it or not) to the vendors and or companies if they want to continue getting “loaned” gear to put on their channel. Same goes for ones that run “commercials” on their channels.

At the end of the day it is a business transaction that benefits all parties involved....but good luck getting either one to admit it. :rolleyes:

That’s why its important for one to do their own research and due diligence from sources other than these so called “unbiased” presenters.

14. M0DDR

Aye there's truth enough in that.

KE0GXN likes this.
  15. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

If you gave every ham a bar of gold 90% would B**** it's too heavy and the remaining 10% would nit-pick the color of the gift packaging, the weight wasn't accurate enough because it wasn't measured to the 100th decimal place and the unit of measure chosen.

Anyone producing content in this hobby cannot win. If they use hamsticks it's not good enough. If they had used a Scorpion HF mobile antenna people would gripe that it's too expensive or too large.

If they mention any products in the content they are "shills" and "sell outs" Hell, I'm surprised at this point someone hasn't complained about radio manufacturers for even making amateur gear. (MFJ excluded) ;)

Thanks for the content and keep it coming. It's better than anything I could produce.

W9MRH, W9AFB, N4GST and 3 others like this.