Ham.Live - Launched !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK6BEB, Apr 30, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Ham.Live-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK6BEB

KK6BEB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi All, after 7 months of development, happy to announce ham.live. The goal was to give net attendees a really rich / interactive experience (on any platform, device) while making life easier for NCSs. If you know anyone who runs a regular net, please spread the word

https://www.ham.live/views/intro

[​IMG]

-KK6BEB

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    K0PIR, KB8MCZ, AG5ND and 7 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like something better than Netlogger. OK

EA1IMP, K5BEZ, KK6BEB and 1 other person like this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Watched the first portion of the video. When the "hand raise" icon showed in the demo, I started experiencing mild hallucinations and flash backs of mIRC, pIRCh, ShowDowN PrO, war bots, the infamous but always entertaining sound bomb command, tsunami floods, skirmishes with World-NET admins, exploits on inadvertently open DCC ports, and automated clone spawning...the dark and sometimes dangerous days (and nights) of the Internet when IRCops with slow connections got pwned by script kiddies with faster connections. Meanwhile, 20 or so years later...

...in it's basic form, Ham.Live is an IRC client. Right?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    AA5BK, AE5SB, K1BQY and 3 others like this.
  4. KK6BEB

Hello....it's quite different than IRC. IRC is very general. Ham.Live is a streamlined NetLogger alternative (platform independent and optimized for mobile web resolution). It's more specialized than IRC (net attendees can give each other signal reports, the system will send you an email when a net you "follow" (are interested in) is about to start, etc). Maybe the only commonality with IRC would be some mIRC implementation specifics like hand-raising, but honestly you could say Zoom calls are like IRC too because you can raise your hand during an online meeting.

I'm a big fan of NetLogger btw and think it's probably the best for some contest-specific nets (small % of overall nets). I just think it's time for something less cluttered where attendees can do more interactively, in a platform independent environment. As an enduser, I don't want to think about software updates and UX complexity to enjoy a net. As an NCS, I don't want to deal with config files or 'servers', etc. That's just me.

KK6QMS likes this.
  5. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations Sean! Great to see you work so hard and see it through. Just the beginning. So much potential to facilitate hams connecting together without concern for platform etc. Can't wait to try it out- will reach out to some ets/NCS and invite them to give it a try!

KK6BEB likes this.
  6. WN1MB

Oh for goodness sake! heh.

My early experiences with IRC were all positive. You misread my post or perhaps I should have peppered it with smilies, winks, and such.

The crux of the post was the query. So Ham.live has no IRC DNA. How would you characterize it? Honest question.

SA4BRL, KC9SP and K0UO like this.
  7. WN1MB

Thanks for the detailed reply. It answered some questions I had, but I'm at a loss for the "why" of it all. From my admittedly limited vantage point view, it appears to be a comm system that runs parallel, if you will, but not hardware interconnected to actual live, on the air nets.

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

First let me say with my degree of computer literacy I very much admire any person that has the ability to put together such a project. I also watched some of the opening portions of the video and tried to understand how this was ham RADIO. I guess if one is interested in participating in activities that are not ham radio in the traditional sense that's certainly their choice.

I know time changes things and after over 62 years on the air I've seen many changes...some good, some not so good. My ham radio interest tend to revolve around communications via RF. Obviously there are other areas outside the realm of RF communications related to the hobby QRZ would be one.

AF5WA, N3HOE, KD7CFM and 11 others like this.
  9. W5TAO

W5TAO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I went to the website and could not do anything except watch the video?????

K0UO likes this.
  10. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the point, watch the video and learn how to use the internet.

11. KK6BEB

This is all about communicating via radio. Hear me out on this… It’s very simple, Ham.Live provides ancillary information in realtime for the online HF net. As we all know, conditions vary on HF. It would be nice to see who can really hear everyone else (you can see all attendees and they can give each other signal reports). There is a realtime chat, but you don’t have to use it. It’s just there for out-of-band communication.

I’m a huge HF fan. This is about radio. It’s not about replacing radio in any way. It’s about adding a little more to the ongoing net. Sure you can “raise your hand” to get net control’s attention, but you don’t have to use that functionality. Maybe you’re QRP in the field and you’re on a mobile device but getting stomped on. Raise your hand and let NCS call you over the air.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with *augmenting an on-the-air net with web-based support services. The primary communication is still radio. This isn’t replacing anything...it’s additive.

I built this for they way *I wished HF nets were ran. Frankly, NetLogger seemed ‘busy’ to me. I’d like to be able to follow along on my iPhone, while operating QRP in the field (if I have cellular). I like being able to get an email when a net that I’m interested in is starting. Those features seem useful.

That’s all this is… just support services. No one is forced to use it. I built it with an eye towards broadening adoption for the hobby. Maybe it does that? Or maybe we just keep doing what we’re doing. If you think it’s unnecessary, don’t use it.

K0PIR, WB0OUX, NL7W and 4 others like this.
  12. WN1MB

Just out of perverse curiosity, what is your personal experience in being an on-the-air net participant, especially as NCS? And what specific nets?

As for "the net is about to start" email alerts - I have a close friend who is an avid traffic handler and participates in several HF nets daily. Though he's in his early 80s, he somehow manages exemplary attendance and promptness with just his calendar, wrist watch, and memory. I strongly suspect he'd scoff at the "need" for such email alerts, even though he's very computer literate and on-line daily.

My own experience with on-the-air nets is it's already a "really rich/interactive experience" without any need for a distracting, parallel, off-the-air "net".

Kudos on the coding and packaging of the app, or whatever you want to characterize it as. I'm sure it was an arduous task. I'm just left trying to figure it's usefulness.

KK9W, KD3Y, KA2FIR and 1 other person like this.
  13. KK6BEB

Do you like / use Netlogger?

KI4YTV likes this.
  14. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So netlogger shows the stats of users and attendees.

Why is this important to anyone ?

From the numbers I can only assume, the hams who have checked into the site, have hung up their mics.

Sorry, this is polished Echolink.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

KA2FIR likes this.
  15. WN1MB

That was undirected, so if it was meant for me, never used it. Never heard of it until reading this thread.

Though I dabbled with computer logging in the late 80s or early 90s, it was short lived and I quickly returned to paper and pencil.

KD3Y, N8TGQ, NF6E and 2 others like this.