HAM License Plates or No?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by K7LQT, Aug 30, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K9DWB

K9DWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bruce of course you're free to look the RR up, and I mean no disrespect to RR's members generically nor to you when I state your ham wants and needs for discussion will be well served and done respectfully here at QRZ from what I've observed thus far. But I myself feel more appropriately treated here so far from the moderator treatment aspect, and feel better just staying here regarding ham discussions.

KE0GXN likes this.
  2. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Laura I am reminded of your posting with the story of Jill Biden being criticized in a newspaper for using the honorific "Dr." respecting her advanced educational degrees. Be prepared, if you decide to keep call sign license plates, for the inevitable questions from men as to where your husband or father is on the air, as if you couldn't be the licensee. Even in this day and age, there are people who don't understand the accomplishments of women, and presume the credit must go elsewhere. In Biden's case, it strikes such folks as bragging.

KQ9J and KJ4KPW like this.
  3. VE8NSD

VE8NSD Ham Member QRZ Page

We get free ham vanity plates here, so of course I get them. The average person has no idea what a callsign is but other hams do. Security concerns? Look where I live. Everyone knows me here and where I live already, they don’t need to google my info.

4. K9DWB

Not that I was asked, I don't have much concern of ill effects of K9DWB being on my PA license plate if I were to get one, which I may have stated I might. If I do not, it would be if there's more PennDOT fees involved either initially or each year.

See I have my own security crew with me at all times legally permitted, as I have county sheriff's licensed permission to carry concealed a friend named Taurus 24/7 OSS Tactical. HIS 45 ACP bark, and accompanying 12 reasons of argument, will make others that are offended by my vanity call license decide to remain at a proper respectful distance. And according to my opinion, that alleviates the concern mostly.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    AD5HR likes this.
  5. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

I got too many stupid questions about my license plate number, so I quit getting them. Plus they cost enough with out adding the extra fees.

6. K9DWB

PennDOT has Amateur radio vanity type plates that cost $11. Maybe I'll get one this year. And if asked what it means, maybe an answer is I own a radio station. Keep asking questions, and if you get 3 right, you win today's prize.

[​IMG]

7. KB0SJE

KB0SJE Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to back when I first got my ticket 1995ish. I let them go when I became inactive and took a 15+ year break. Now all my vehicles have firefighter plates on them.

8. K4YNZ

K4YNZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No. Last time I had a plate a mob showed up at my door about TVI! That was 1983. No telling the HOA police would do today.
    Today? We do not answer the door unless you are expected.

9. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

No. I have standard plates on my car. I don't have ham equipment in the car, not even a HT. I can't help anyone in an emergency.

Ham plates are simply an invitation for a ne'er-do-well to break into your car in search of something valuable. Doctors are onto something: many have standard plates on their car(s) because physician plates are an invitation for break-ins to look for syringes etc.

Is anyone really paying attention to license plates at 80 mph (130 km/h)? [Yes, I know the speed limit is 65 mph (100 km/h), but tell that to the left lane on the Connecticut Turnpike.]

73, Jordan AB2T

10. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've always taken the view that I want my plates to be absolutely standard. I always try to drive safely and within the law but, if I ever make a mistake, I don't want some witness saying to a policeman "Oh, yes, officer - I do remember the licence plate because it was unusual..."

Some years ago, I stopped at the lights behind a sports car driven by a cute blond with the licence plate "SEX1E" - if she accidentally jumped the lights, there was little chance that witnesses would have got her plate wrong!

Martin (G8FXC)