HAM License Plates or No?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by K7LQT, Aug 30, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Each to his own

KI7OQF likes this.
  2. KI7OQF

KI7OQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Utah cost a lot

3. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KI7OQF

KI7OQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, that's not what they told my wife....she pays too much

When I get to buy the ride I want I may get HAM lic plate, if they offer it on a motorcycle.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  5. N9EN

N9EN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

View attachment 620543
    My license plate doesn't indicate my callsign but it does indicate my "position" on FT-8 (hi).

73 de Brad, N9EN

DSC00467.JPG

K6MAA and KG7WGX like this.
  6. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to have one (Georgia) and they used waive the yearly Tag Fee here as hams assist the community in emergencies. But the state was groping for cash during the Great Recession and they re-instituted the fee for ham plates .... YEARLY Vanity Tag fee. I'm not rich and saw the situation as a money-grab by the state so I let it lapse and took the plate they gave me.

7. N0NCO

N0NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

For decades, I've had collector plates on the hot-rod, and HAM plates on the daily-driver. :)

Joel

8. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

In New York State --where I live-- there are various types of special and personalized ("vanity") license plates.
    In addition to the regular registration fee, the initial extra costs (e.g. "set up" fee to produce the plates) range from $43.75 to $75 and the extra annual renewal fees range from $15 to $46.25

BUT ... amateur radio operators are considered "emergency service workers" who pay reduced fees.
    And even within that category, hams pay the lowest fees -- just $30 for the initial "set-up" fee and only $6.25 for annual renewal.

;)

9. N8YQM

N8YQM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have them, but the great state of Ohio decided that they have to make sure you really are a ham EVERY YEAR. I used to be able to renew online, but now I actually have to take a copy of my license to the BMV office and renew in person every year. And the ham plate costs an extra $10 to renew over a regular plate. And sometimes the new droids at the BMV are utterly confused as to what they are supposed to do when I give them the ham license and ask me why I don't just renew online.

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Big Hassle, no one's business but mine if I'm a ham...
    Renew on-line is great and won't give that up and also pay extra, wait in a line for a dumb vanity.