HAM License Plates or No?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by K7LQT, Aug 30, 2013.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K7LQT

K7LQT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have JUST received my Crater Lake License plates with my callsign, in the mail, FINALLY. I am 25 years old and I have a 94' Acura Integra with HAM Plates ;-)
    Anyway, would you sport your callsign via license plates or just stick with normal plates?

NG0L, K0UO, KI7OQF and 6 others like this.
  2. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't want to display anything that would tip-off my community that I'm a ham. We're so heavily restricted that the HOA would call in an airstrike on my QTH if they knew. But good for you if that sort of thing makes you happy.

QRZZ, W1BR, N6OPS and 4 others like this.
  3. KQ4X

KQ4X QRZ Member QRZ Page

For sure use the plates on your car...that's what they are for! In Tennessee the State provides our call sign with no extra charge; and at the bottom of the plate it says: EMERGENCY.

Be proud of your hobby and your call sign.

N4FZ, N6OPS and W4KSL like this.
  4. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm proud of my hobby and my call sign, but I have Veteran plates because I don't want anyone to google my call sign and have my address.

I don't really care if you guys do, but I'm not interested in broadcasting that to the world.

I have actually thought about just putting an "NM9K" sticker in my window, as I suspect that hams would recognize it, while others would not.

N4FZ, KK9W, N3HQN and 1 other person like this.
  5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

After many years of having a call plate, I went back to an 'off the rack' random plate.

I really don't like people to have the ability to type my plate number in Google and have it bring up my info. I told my daughter NOT to get her call sign on her plate for the same reason.

I am still proud to be a ham and really like my call sign, but in today's crazy world......I prefer to remain anonymous while on the road.

K3EY, N4FZ, KK9W and 2 others like this.
  6. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's see...

I could put these on my car:

hamplates.jpg

Or I could put a big sign in the window that says:

HAM RADIO EQUIPMENT INSIDE

KK9W likes this.
  7. KQ4X

KQ4X QRZ Member QRZ Page

I think the odds of anyone who is not a ham operator knowing what your call sign plate means, are pretty low. Then, if they do know it's a ham call sign, what are the chances that they'd even know that they could google it and get some info? (FCC allows us to use Post Office Boxes instead of street addresses now, too).

And even if they did know that, what are the chances that they'd want to do it just to get your address? I see the risk as being very, very low, that some harm would come from your using ham call sign plates on your car. Even if you have ham gear inside the car I doubt the average thief would know about it because of your plate; he'd more likely break in because of the odd antennas you have on the car.

My advice to anyone concerned about the call sign recognition risk factor: Update your FCC records with a Post Office Box instead of your street address.

(OH...funny story here: Years ago I was in my old Mercedes 240D with my ham plates on the car (KQ4X). I'm on the interstate and I see a motorcycle cop behind me; he follows me for a minute then pulls around and rides along beside me just off my driver side door. Then I hear this electronic horn (low frequency thing) honking at me...squawk squawk squawk! I'm thinking he's wanting me to pull over but then I recognized that he was tapping out my call sign on his horn! When I looked over at him he smiled and tapped/honked "HI" and laughed! I laughed and nodded at him as he pulled on off ahead of me. That was cool.

K8EEI, VE8NSD, N4FZ and 6 others like this.
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Since we get FREE vehicle registration in Alaska with ham license plates, I certainly take advantage of it!

Eric the Cheap

N4FZ, N5PZJ and N9UOM like this.
  9. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

Never mind old chap, you'll get over it ;)

I've noticed a few callsign plates in the US driving around, it doesn't tend to catch on in the UK, I think because personalised number plates here indicate the driver is a bit of a knobhead, so we don't bother :)

2E0WMG likes this.
  10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Being a knobhead is better than paying registration fees. :)