ad: AbAuRe-1

Ham-Com in Texas

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by AA5RJ, Feb 4, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA5RJ

AA5RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Will there be a Ham-fest to replace Ham-Com in Texas, After disolving it in 2021 has Covid really killed the attemp to restart it.

2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It will be hard to follow up for whatever groups are going to try it.

3. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know this is an old thread, but I have been wondering about Texas ham fests. I don't go to many ham fests. With both Ham-Com dissolving and Summerfest being an unknown I am not sure of the state of Texas ham fests. HamExpo is happening again, I missed the last couple but have it on my calendar to go. I went for the first time in years in March of 2020 right before the pandemic really took off. It's actually a short drive for me, I just have to plan to actually go.

I am eyeing South Texas Ham Fest down in Sinton, TX to see if they have it this year. That might be a fun one to spend a couple of nights down in Port A with the family and then attend the hamfest at least one day, but since they haven't announced it yet for this year my guess is it will be cancelled.

Did anyone attend the Ham Fiesta in San Antonio this year?

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

With HamCom gone, we typically hit the Cowtown Hamfest and the two Belton hamfests. Not the same, but better than nothin' -- and beats driving to Ohio or Alybama. There is (I think) still a big hamfest in Claremore OK that always has a super-duper grand prize. Gonna drive up there one year.

KJ5T and K0UO like this.
  5. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is posted in the Swapnet News letter:
    "Aug 5,6 Austin Summerfest
    2020,21,22 EVENTS WERE CANCELLED
    Due to the current situation, organizers reluctantly decided to cancel 2022 Austin Summerfest
    Past year’s information remains on the website so you can see what Austin Summerfest is all about
    We hope to see y'all next year, August 4 & 5 2023."

K5MUG likes this.
  6. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While I was unable to attend this due to work, "DFW Ham Radio Expo 2022" was held on 11 June 2022 - http://dfwham.com/

WD5GWY and KJ5T like this.
  7. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't get to attend this year as the XYL had back surgery the week before. I'm told the move to June from the previous colder part of the year allowed a much bigger tailgate gathering. Maybe next year.

KJ5T likes this.
  8. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good to see the DFW folks have put something together. I have never made it down to the Ham Fiesta but it is on my list. Will miss it again in 2023, tentatively planning a Birthday/Father's Day trip to Kansas City that weekend.

WD5GWY likes this.
  9. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang, I've always enjoyed Austin Summerfest. They do a great job with it.

It's typically the only amateur radio convention I get to.

KJ5T and KG5RZ like this.
  10. KM5QS

KM5QS Ham Member QRZ Page

To whom ever that may be interested , the Temple Amateur Radio Club will put on Ham Expo 2022 Sep. 30 and Oct. 1. I may be a bit predjudiced but I have not missed one in since 1995 and will recommend it highly. By the way , we will have the 3922 bbq pit/ smoker there on Sep. 29 and everyone is invited to participate . This is not a commercial enterprise , rather it is a participitory event. No one is turned away , you bring it, we burn it to a delicious degree.My self and Jim / KB5ZIV have been doing this for 26 years +or- and have enjoyed the show that Tarc puts on every time. Hope to see y'all there.
    73 , Jay / KM5QS

KI5OMM, AG5CK, W5ESE and 1 other person like this.
  11. KF5FEI

Hopefully the guy with the possum problem will not show up with his trophy!

Sounds like fun -- I will pencil this in on my calendar as I need to hit Buc-ee's too.

12. KM5QS

KM5QS Ham Member QRZ Page

It is always fun . We do have one restriction , we do not put anything on the grill that has green s*** hanging out of both ends.

13. KF5FEI

Sounds like a challenge to me! :eek: Time to break out the road-kill cookbook.

What about tofu hot-dogs? We've had vegan folks wanting to grill those on Field Day -- despite being warned the skillet and grill being seasoned with lard.

14. WD5GWY

WD5GWY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking forward to seeing you guys at Belton in October.
    James
    WD5GWY