ad: CQMM-1

Ham College 64: Current State of Remote Exams

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5JDX, May 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham College episode 64 is now available for download.
    hc64_qrz.png
    In this episode of Ham College we get the up to date information on the state of Amateur radio exam remote testing. It’s come much further that we thought. Richard Bateman, KD7BBC from HamStudy.org and ExamTools.org is on the forefront of implementing the tools necessary to proctor exams over the Internet.
    1:16:46

Download
    YouTube

K4OTX and K3TEF like this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Tommy gets more handsome every year. Hi Tommy...

W5JDX likes this.
  3. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Kudos to these guys......I waited for months to take my Extra Exam. I was facing a deadline for the current exam's retirement in July; most of our local VE's are in there 70's and the possibility of slipping past the deadline looked likely.

Along comes the COVID Cavalry, Bateman, and his regiment of VE Virtual Air Cav. Some initial hiccups with the signup and scheduling process were encountered, but that' s a tiny price to pay for the opportunity to virtually test. The Bateman crew, despite grueling long hours, continues to improve on their home-spun process through lessons learned. What's the job pay for all that hard work, 5 Bucks per exam..... I made a donation to HamStudy, I encourage all others that tested to do the same, we owe these folks much more than a five-spot considering the work they invested in this thankless project, and they did it just to help us.

Bateman and team to the Rescue

[​IMG]

KN0SKY, K3TEF, W5JDX and 1 other person like this.
  4. KX6F

KX6F XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video!! Is there a setup for using an external 100 watt amplifier or is there one in the '705 future. If so, it would make a great base station station!!

5. W5JDX

W5JDX Ham Member QRZ Page

While off topic for this thread, I don't believe Icom plans to release a 100 watt amplifier for the IC-705. Amplifiers from other vendors should work though.

6. KX6F

KX6F XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for the off topic post.

7. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page