ad: k1jek

...Ham Club Post Meeting Business...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA2UFP, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:12 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

But it is better than previous attempts.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, we don't.:)

3. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like there is no social pressure? Ha!

W4IOA and KQ9J like this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The original gesture during the allegiance pledge was arm out (photo from the 1930s)...
    upload_2017-12-7_15-2-59.jpeg

Although the pledge was actually written by a minister (Francis Bellamy, in 1892), it never contained the words "Under God."

Times change.

5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

My local club says the pledge. One evening someone moved a motion that we say the pledge before each meeting and it was approved after a vote. Weird thing, I don't recall seeing that guy at a meeting again.

As a non-citizen, even though I'd been here about ten years at the time, it was the first time I'd heard it. It was a bit of a surprise. It doesn't really seem appropriate to me for a radio club meeting but whatever, it's no big deal if people want to do it. I stand up just so I don't look like a complete jerk but I don't hold my hand on my heart or say anything.

My only real comment is that if your club says the pledge and you have foreign visitors, then it's a good idea to warn them first and make sure they know that nobody is expecting them to participate. I suspect many Americans don't realize what a weird thing it looks and sounds to foreigners and a surprise if they're not expecting it.

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

My club doesn't but maybe we should. I have no butt hurt either way.

7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was ignoring the NFL before ignoring the NFL was cool. There is not much entertainment left in it, and way too much baby momma drama. I prefer banked track ladies roller derby...the only real sport left in America.

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

If one is guided by social pressure they have a real problem.

W4POT likes this.
  9. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing holds a candle to women's beach volleyball :p

10. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

The thing that always got me was my pop is all about patriotism but if he says wwii germany film footage or soviet film footage he always talks about how propaganda and media pressures brainwashed the people of those nations.

For me the pledge of allegiance to a flag is simply bizare. Pledge allegiance to your neighbors or your employer or any entity that deserves your allegiance. But to a colored sheet? A naval signal? A war banner?

It simply makes no logical sense to me.

If it makes others feel good: great. If its just going to be another line in the sand for me to cross: bet your backside i will cross it. Along with any other made-up silliness someone wants to get butthurt over.

With that said: i love america warts and all.

KQ9J likes this.