ad: Morse-1

...Ham Club Post Meeting Business...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA2UFP, Dec 7, 2017 at 1:12 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Out of idle curiosity... Why do you ask?

( And yes, my club does )

2. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A radio club is supposed to be a bunch of people getting together to run their club and do radio related stuff. Whatever the group decides would be fine, but nobody should be forced to pledge anything. Except their annual dues :p

KK5JY likes this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There you have it you have a right not to do the pledge they have a right not to be interested in your demonstration.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I took it to mean "ham club business" in general not just the pledge issue. The OP isn't well written...

Dave
    W7UUU

WU8Y likes this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did not see in any of the posts where club members were being forced to recite the pledge maybe I missed it.

6. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe "expected" would have been a better term to use. I'm just not sure what purpose it serves at a radio club meeting. Other than perhaps to embolden the ones who think their yellow vest and HT make them a government official of some sort. But like you said, it should be up to each group to decide. The Amateur's Code says the amateur should be patriotic, making their services available to the country in time of need. You don't have to recite anything to do that. And there's nothing wrong with it if you do! :)

7. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Our club takes a knee during the national anthem.

I find patriotism interesting. I volunteered, served, and received an honorable discharge. I pay my taxes, vote in elections, fly a flag on a flagpole, and gone to my share of 4th of July parades. I remove my hat at the national anthem and place my hand over my heart during the pledge of allegiance. I grew up with a disabled WW2 vet as a father and lost him to an early death. But I don't see the importance of the pledge at a club meeting or sporting event. I don't wave a flag in the back of my truck and I watch NFL games even when they kneel. Matter of fact I'm fairly suspicious of those who are overt patriots. I treat it much like my faith, I live the life and that's enough.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 7:54 PM
    NL7W, K3XR and N7ZAL like this.
  8. KA2UFP

KA2UFP Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 7:53 PM
  9. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Haven't gone to a ham club meeting since the early 1960s and don't remember a pledge...but maybe we did, just never paid any attention...so no recall.

However, it sure seems like a nice thing to do today. As a veteran and respectful citizen of this country I can't see why it isn't done. If you object just don't stand up, or don't put your hand over your heart, or just don't say the pledge. Seems simple.

We really need some patriotic demonstrations today, based on the difficulties our Nation now sees and those possible in the future. JMO

NL7W, W7UUU and K3XR like this.
  10. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've attended a handful of clubs' meetings around the Washington DC area, and we've not done the pledge. I've got nothing against the pledge, but it it is nice (particularly in the DC area) to just talk radio stuff when at a radio meeting. Brass tacks and all that.

W4IOA likes this.