ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Car Tags and Your State

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N8FPY, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the things unique in Texas (not sure if other states allow it) is that the same plates can be on multiple vehicles. I don't plan to ever have a radio in my wife's daily driver and while she is a ham she doesn't want one in there either so no radio plates on hers. I need to get a radio back in the CX-5. I don't think I am going to do HF again, really thinking just a simple 2M FM rig, mostly interested in just keeping tuned in to 146.52 when I take road trips. Debating between that and doing something a little fancier (I believe we have some FUSION repeaters in the area).

2. N9EN

N9EN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I know that it is not an "amateur radio" license plate. I also know what the Tennessee ham radio license plates look like. In my opinion, they are very plain looking, with the word "emergency" on them.

I wanted to get a license plate that shows my interest in ham radio. Ham operators who see the plate will understand what it is referring to but others probably will not. I have been asked if it refers to the Civil War; others thought it referred to country & western music.

By the way, when I was an ILLinois resident, I tried to obtain this plate but was told that they do not "mix" letters and numbers. The government person here in Tennesssee with whom I spoke in my effort to obtain this license plate was very helpful. 73...

3. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have my Texas call sign plates on both my truck and my Casita travel trailer. I have not put them on the wife's car since she said there is NO WAY !!! I would be allowed to install a Bug Catcher on it. I keep working on her about it but I think it is futile.

WD5IKX and Casita.jpg

John WD5IKX

KJ5T likes this.