ad: hrd-2

Ham Car Tags and Your State

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N8FPY, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the things unique in Texas (not sure if other states allow it) is that the same plates can be on multiple vehicles. I don't plan to ever have a radio in my wife's daily driver and while she is a ham she doesn't want one in there either so no radio plates on hers. I need to get a radio back in the CX-5. I don't think I am going to do HF again, really thinking just a simple 2M FM rig, mostly interested in just keeping tuned in to 146.52 when I take road trips. Debating between that and doing something a little fancier (I believe we have some FUSION repeaters in the area).

2. N9EN

N9EN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I know that it is not an "amateur radio" license plate. I also know what the Tennessee ham radio license plates look like. In my opinion, they are very plain looking, with the word "emergency" on them.

I wanted to get a license plate that shows my interest in ham radio. Ham operators who see the plate will understand what it is referring to but others probably will not. I have been asked if it refers to the Civil War; others thought it referred to country & western music.

By the way, when I was an ILLinois resident, I tried to obtain this plate but was told that they do not "mix" letters and numbers. The government person here in Tennesssee with whom I spoke in my effort to obtain this license plate was very helpful. 73...

3. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have my Texas call sign plates on both my truck and my Casita travel trailer. I have not put them on the wife's car since she said there is NO WAY !!! I would be allowed to install a Bug Catcher on it. I keep working on her about it but I think it is futile.

WD5IKX and Casita.jpg

John WD5IKX

KJ5T likes this.