Ham Car Tags and Your State

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N8FPY, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All the informatiom you reveal to government entities (Federal, State, and local), banks and financial institutions, insurance companies, medical providers, and other companies you do business with, etc..may claim to "protect" your data even though they share your data with others (who you may not know and won't be provided to you).

All it takes is a good hacker to break into any of these "protected" databases which you have no idea concerning where they may reside, and overnight your data may be sold to an outfit with criminal intent. By the time your identity has been ripped off and fraudulent bills or bank withdrawals start to occur your chances of finding out who is responsible is impossible. That is why identity theft insurance is sold. That is the system's way of telling you they can't prevent identity theft but if you pay them they will cover your losses! You are the only loser. Not the companies sharing your data, the hackers, or the companies providing goods and services to fraudulent identities. In fact everyone is making money but you. But sign up and pay for insurance and you will only lose your deductible. What a deal!

2. KN4XJ

KN4XJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lost one of mine on the way to Alaska this summer. $10.0 or so for a new set when we got back.

2019-07-07 14-52-58 D600 DSC_1783 cropped .jpg

N1VAU and W7EDC like this.
  3. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

We left Taxachusetts, 8 years ago. Wife got her call plate, immediately - I cannot as some Woman used my call for a vanity plate. The state said, "first come" get's it.

4. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Katie Wuneff beat me to mine.

N1VAU, KI2H and W0AQ like this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Saw someone's tag "QRZ" and then the callsign. One way around that.

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

In some states, you may be charged a vanity plate fee that they do not charge for hame plates (varies by state). It's also a way around the two plate limit. I have K3XR and K3XR-1. If I wanted to pay the regular vanity plate fee could also have K3XR-3 etc.

7. WA6III

WA6III Ham Member QRZ Page

AND, additionally, if you were to ask 500 random people "on the road" only one or two of them would even know what the "numbers" on your "Ham Plate actually mean!! (and those people would be hams.......where the chances of them "stealing" your ID are minuscule!!)

Probably don't have to worry about bad guys stealing ID from a "Ham Plate"

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

True. That's the thing with the "cutesy" tags also. The only person for sure who knows what many of them mean is the person driving the vehicle. That person never sees the plate while driving down the road.

Which leads me to the sheer stupidity of the "baby on board" sign in the rear window. Thank God you have the sign because I picked your car for my next accident.

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the New Driver signs. Those people usually drive normally instead of most fools on the road.

10. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How many of those drivers would be staring at the plate in front of them trying to figure out what the acronym stood for o_O