Ham Car Tags and Your State

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N8FPY, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

@W7EDC have you sent a request to update to reginfo@arrl.org yet?
    "The information is updated as received from amateurs in a particular state."

2. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

I would never use my Call Sign as a Plate Number. Why would anyone take that kind of security risk. You are begging PLEASE STEAL MY IDENTITY. With your call sign they know where you live, and what your full name is.

3. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

No ... they don't know your full name. They can find the name you provided in the ULS, which does NOT have to be
    your full name
    --mine isn't-- nor does it have to include a middle initial.

And, no ... they don't know where you live. They can find the address you've provided in the ULS, which doesn't have to be your home address. It's just a MAILING ADDRESS, which can be ANY ADDRESS at which you can receive mail -- relative, friend, business, USPS P.O. box, etc.

In more than 40 years as a licensee --with call sign plates on my cars-- I've never had a problem of any kind --least of all identity theft-- nor have I ever heard of an instance in which a ham was the victim of identity theft arising from call sign license plates.

;)

K0UO, KJ4VTH and K3XR like this.
  4. N9EN

N9EN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is how ham tags "work" for me -- hi! 73 de Brad, N9EN DSC00467.JPG

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No?

I hadn't read anything about where they got their information from. I thought if something is in print it is correct, is that not true?- LOL...

In honesty, I clicked on the recommended link, scrolled down to my State and compared to the Oregon DMV site... I wasn't/am not even sure if I was reading it right to warrant me telling someone else it was incorrect.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, someone from Oregon should tell them.

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

And then there's California ...
    "California, the state about to implement the toughest privacy law in the country, earns over $50 million a year selling driver’s license information to data providers, insurance firms, private investigators and other entities, Vice/Motherboard reports.

The data includes names, addresses and car registration information."

https://www.mediapost.com/publicati...-50-million-a-year-sellin.html?edition=116317

K0UO likes this.
  9. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh how the thread has change from the OP...

but "Car registration information" data is a lot different than looking up a callsign printed on the plate and looking it up on another site such as ARRL/FCC database

10. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

And BTW, you probably shouldn't drive like a <richard> if you've got a ham plate...

KJ4CAY and W7EDC like this.