Ham Car Tags and Your State

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N8FPY, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

A little late to the party, but here goes.... North Carolina.... You pay a vanity tag fee each year and MUST have a radio in your car.

Now for the catch 22.

North Carolina law makes it illegal to use a handheld device while driving and ham radio mics are NOT exempt.

You must have a radio installed. You cannot use said radio legally unless you pull over to a safe place and park.

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting, is there a requirement that the radio function?

3. KF4BI

KF4BI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You pay for a Ham tag in Georgia just like any other personalized tag! Good for 1 year, then taxes, etc. due again.

4. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

They still do, but have been offset in recent years by increases in the fees enacted by the legislature. For instance, my 22 year-old truck costs about one quarter to register of what we pay for my wife's two year old car.

5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Registration fees are the same regardless of vehicle age in Virginia but we also pay a personal property tax based on NADA trade-in value, which is much higher than any dealer would actually give you for the car. So the PP tax goes down each year but not as much as you'd expect. My 12 year old car is worth five grand according to the county. A dealer might give me two grand on a good day.

6. W0AQ

W0AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maine won't put the slash in my zero (like my old Kansas plate) and the one time I tried to get a ham plate, they insisted on an ORIGINAL license, not the "original" that I printed from the FCC website. So, I gave up on getting a ham radio plate in Maine.

Of course, these same folks don't believe that a passport is proof of citizenship.

Attached Files:

7. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My vehicles, some as old as 15 years old but purchased 10 years ago, cost more in CA DMV fees now than they did when I bought them.

8. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not sure how Oregon on the list shows '$8/free'. As for as what I 'heard' Oregon treats HAM plates like vanity ones and are almost just as much to renew every two years. However, I may be mistaken. I have never went into a DMV and asked in person and I may be reading this wrong...

Capture.JPG

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Free means no surcharge at renewal, and it sure looks like $8 has risen to $39.50 for new plates.

10. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

I cannot get a ham plate in Florida, due to someone who already has it - Obviously "her name" is Nina, but substituted the number one since someone else had it spelled right. Poor lady, driving around with a Dyslexic license plate.
    "Don't sweat the petty stuff - and don't pet the sweaty stuff" Life is good with a sense of humor.