Ham Car Tags and Your State

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N8FPY, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Not only that but the plates belong to you, not the vehicle. If you sell the vehicle you keep the plates and you can transfer them to a different vehicle. I think there was a fee but it was minor (something like the $4 mentioned above.)

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a cure for that,............

In MY state, the price for the actual Amateur plate is wiaved (if you belong to Ares).

3. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

In Kansas onetime $4, I think and you can move them when you get a new car.
    If you sell the vehicle you keep the plates

4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been a number of years now and don't recall if there was an additional fee for the original application. There is no special fee at renewal. You can have up to two plates (one plate state) have K3XR and K3XR-2. Plates may be transferred to a new vehicle or another vehicle that you own.

5. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

In New York State, in addition to the "regular" registration fee, there is a $35 initial surcharge (for production of the call-sign plate -- rather than the $60 surcharge for any other "vanity" plate) and a $6.25 surcharge at renewal time (2 years), rather than the $32 renewal surcharge for "vanity" plates. Both initial application and renewal require presentation of proof of Amateur Radio license.

6. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

In California, there is a one-time fee for the initial application. You still pay the ever-increasing registration fees every year and you can take the plate with you when you change vehicles.

K3SZ likes this.
  7. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember when the fees used to decrease annually as your vehicle got older and presumably decreased in taxable value?

8. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

In South Carolina, I paid exactly $1 for amateur tag.

My only complaint is that it is limited to one vehicle. I cannot see the harm in having a hatchback and motorcycle with the same plate number. It's not like they are difficult to tell apart.:)

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

You can also take the plate with you when you change states

I still have my Ca plate, .................mounted to the wall of my garage.

I remember the $300 (plus) Ca registration fees (this was years ago, I don't think they are any lower now) plus "smog inspection" fees

My $27 annual registration renewal fee looks pretty good right now.

10. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not have to pay an additional fee with my new tags in Texas, but I don't think I was 'prorated' or reimbursed for any 'unused' time on my previous issued plates. Registration changed from September to February. Did not need to reinspect, however. I'm waiting until closer to the expiration date to renew for my vanity.