ad: dxeng

Ham Car Tags and Your State

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N8FPY, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. N8FPY

N8FPY Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in Ohio. In Ohio, you can renew your car tags for up to 5 years via e-mail - unless you want amateur radio tags. Then you can only renew for 1 year and if your currently-paid end date is more than a year out, you have to give up the funds already paid. In my case, my ham license expires in 2029, but I can only get car tags for 1 year and I have to go in and show the BMV my FCC license each year upon renewal. I am debating whether the ham tag is worth the hassle.

How do ham tags/amateur radio tags work in your state?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Alaska is wonderful for hams. If you have ham plates, you don't pay yearly vehicle registration fees. I haven't paid a dime to the DMV since 1977!
    Eric the Grateful

KJ6NQW and K9ASE like this.
  3. N8FPY

Sweet!!! How is the coconut telegraph up there? I am planning a trip that will go into various parts of AK that will be outside of cell and probably repeater ranges. Planning on doing the Dalton highway and in the NWT, the Dempster highway. Does AK have a state-wide frequency that is monitored by the state patrol or others?

4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC, Texas requires a form and a copy of your license for the original issue of the tags, as well as a $4 (I think) fee. After that, it renews yearly just like any other license plate. Haven't had the two new cars long enough to see if they send us new tags after 10 years -- this used to be a thing with the old stamped tags.

6. KL7AJ

We have a pretty nice 6 meter mobile group here in the Interior. 52.525 simplex. Most hams don't realize what great regional coverage 6 offers.

7. KL7AJ

By the way, the Dalton and Dempster highways are a trip! (Quite literally). I haven't done the Dalton in ages..but would like to again.

8. KL7AJ

Nice list. It doesn't look like any state has draconian fees...except, of course for Taxachussetts. :)

K3XR and KJ4VTH like this.
  9. N8FPY

10. WR1O

WR1O Ham Member QRZ Page

Massachusetts has the double double dip on ham plate, they charge twice the normal fee and they are good for half as long, one year instead of two. I gave up my ham plates many years ago. They don't call us Taxachusetts for nothing.

K3XR, K9ASE and W1TRY like this.