Hallicrafters SX-71 Receiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N8FVJ, May 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Hallicrafters SX-71 is a general coverage receiver from 550kHz to 34mHz plus 47mHz to 55mHz covering the 6 meter ham band. It receives AM, FM and SSB/CW. Radio uses 13 tubes and is dual conversion at 4.5mHz and higher frequency. The radio has three IFs thus is better on AM receive with regard to close signal interference and quality AM receive at about 6kHz. 8 to 10 kHz band-width can be noisy on weak signals. It also has an adjustable crystal filter with broad and narrow ranges. 10 meters is a little lower on receive sensitivity, but using 6BZ6 in place of the 6BA6 RF amplifier tube helps. 6 meters is not poor either like on many vintage radios in the 1940s & 1950s with the 6 meter band.

The SX-71 performs very well on 75 meter AM ham. It seems about equal to my SX-111 that is a SX-101 in a lighter package. The SX-111 will only select one AM side band, but not too inconvenient. One sideband selection loses about 3dB of AM receive, but I do not notice it. I consider the SX-71 a superior receiver vs a Hallicrafters S-110, National NC-98, NC-190 and similar two IF receivers. The SX-71 is rather inexpensive on ebay, but usually in poor cosmetic condition. I bought one that looks excellent.

Three versions exist with the early white dial, black dial and black dial with 15 meter band-spread. I recommend the SX-71 for ham band AM 75 and 40 meter reception.

2. WA3YAY

WA3YAY Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the SX-101A. Wonderful radio