hallicrafters SR-2000 time delay relay?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA6MHZ, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Just noticed my newly acquired SR2k is missing the K303 90 second time delay relay tube.
    it uses a 7 pin socket. Anyone have any idea of a part number or availability of this?
    73!

2. KE3WD

KE3WD Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think you're looking for a tube, the time delay relays were often made to fit into tube sockets, but they were not tubes. Most used a solid state RC circuit driving a relay, although perhaps some very early versions may have used a very miniature tube in them like a nuvistor.

You can still purchase Time Delay Relays today, but you may need the radio schematic to find out the pinout of the socket in the radio and may have to wire one up to fit the socket. Or find an old one taken from the same radio from another ham who has one.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

90 secs sounds like a thermal delay to me.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually from that period of time it was a vacuum tube with a thermally activated bi-metallic set of contacts.
    That radio is fifty years old.

5. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It maybe fifty years old but you could still get an old socket and put a 555 timer IC with a relay contact as the replacement timer.
    You could even make it look just like the original, if that's a concern.....The function will be the same...
    Have fun with the highly valued SR-2000.
    Are you going to divulge how much you paid for it?
    Just asking....
    Gary

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  7. AF6LJ

It has a 110VAC heater.
    You could however the original is out there and they almost never go bad.

8. WA6MHZ

Maybe it is a 9 pin, I will hafta check.
    amperite is the right kind, but hafta make sure the gime period is 90 seconds, and the NO contact closes after the time period. Yes, I could make a 555 timer version, but I like authentic. Will hafta go over the amperite specs when I get home. $29 for that relay isn't a bargain!

9. AF6LJ

Not a bargain, but not really out of line ether...

I think it's cool that you have an SR-200.
    Going to run it for Field Day this year??

10. WA6MHZ

Probably wont be restored by then. Long ways to go! Don't know the shape the finals are in, and need
    to recap the power supply; and replace the diodes. Downloaded the manual on my cellphone while my wife drove

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.