Hallicrafters S-20r Rebuild

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KF7AYS, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ron -

I happen to look at your current "Rebuild" photos and have a couple of comments, from my experience in previous "ground up" rebuilds/restorations.

1. I noticed that you painted the main chassis. I normally never do that. WHY?

Radios of this vintage often used the metal chassis (steel or aluminum) as a common ground (or electrical return) for terminal strips, tube sockets and other items attached to the metal chassis. When you use paint, you applied an insulator.
    That means you may have to scrap paint to get to metal for any parts added in future using that ground.
    IF the metal chassis has extensive corrosion, then I normally go the bead blast and plating route (usually use nickel in native silver gray).

2. I see that you left the rivets and sockets on the chassis. That's OK, as long as you checked that the insulators are good, the rivets are tight and the contacts has been cleaned (DeOxit).

3. The transformer is mounted with 4 screws that have corrosion (rust) -- why re-introduce the problem?.
    If this is temporary, OK -- but I usually install clean hardware (stainless or zinc galvanized).

The work does take time. One restoration required that I rebuild the wiring harness and I elected to use proper cable lacing for that period. A long-time GTE telecom technician (retired) provided some mentoring (Elmer) years ago for that guidance!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_lacing

Nice project.

w9gb

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KF7AYS

KF7AYS Ham Member QRZ Page

OK guys,

As promised, I have put up the Formula build sheet in the photos area. This formula with the hand written additions was a perfect match. Keep in mind that ALL dye lots are slightly different so you will probably have to customize your paint a smidgeon, but this formula will get you very close.

Cheers,
    Ron - kf7ays

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KF7AYS

Oops, my bad. Sorry about that.

6. KF7AYS

ok. I cleaned the paint under the hardware so there was a solid ground and strung up the tuning machines. Also I got the transformer properly mounted and pointed in the right direction. I will be uploading some pics in a bit.

I will be ordering the resistors and capacitors next week at some point.

Then, the fun begins. I have a friend who has one of these radios. I may go kidnap it for a day or so to get the electronics installed correctly the first time.

Anyways, watch for new pics of the tuning machines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.